108909 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tru64 NFS client cannot access Red Hat NFS server - RPC: Authentication error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

Tru64 NFS client cannot access Red Hat NFS server - RPC: Authentication error

When a Tru64 client has mounted a remote NFS disk on a Red Hat server, I get the following error:

hbsitlab$ ls /scsitvxt/home
NFS3 RFS3_GETATTR failed for server hbsitvxt : RPC: Authentication error
/scsitvxt/home not found

When I do the ls from the Tru64 root account, it works:

lab# ls /scsitvxt/home
apache тАж watchdog

When mounting the same disk from another Red Hat client, everything is OK.

My only conclusion is that the Tru64 client is incapable to authenticate itself to Red Hat.

Is Red Hat running some special authentication protocol that Tru64 is unaware of?

Note that all UID and GID are identical on all machines.
18 REPLIES 18
Aco Blazeski
Regular Advisor

Re: Tru64 NFS client cannot access Red Hat NFS server - RPC: Authentication error

What is the mount command (post full command with all arguments) that you issue on Tru64 client ?
Also what is the mount command on RHL client?

Can you NFS mount some other disk (from Tru64 server for example) from your Tru64 clinet?

Also post the line from your RHL server that exports the NFS disk that you're trying to mount.

Regards,
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 NFS client cannot access Red Hat NFS server - RPC: Authentication error

I had NFS problems with Linux and AIX, and was solved by adding the "insecure" option to the directory export options.

You may try that.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Also, name resolution is very important for NFS to work correctly. Verify your DNS settings or host tables.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

I have tried insecure as an export option, this did not help.

I have also tried insecure_locks or no_auth_nlm, this did not help neither.

DNS and /etc/hosts files are OK (NFS works perfectly from Red Hat clients, but does not work from Tru64 clients).

NFS between Tru64 clients & servers works also perfectly.

This is the export file on the Red Hat 7.2 Alpha NFS server (sorry Guys, but this is the most recent Red Hat for Alpha machines !)

I have tested all combinations:

/data hbsitlab(rw,sync)
/data hbsitlab(rw,sync,no_auth_nlm)
/data hbsitlab(rw,sync,insecure)
/data hbsitlab(rw,sync,insecure,no_auth_nlm)

This is the /etc/fstab file on the Alpha NFS Tru64 client

hbsitvxt:/data /scsitvxt/data nfs rw,bg 0 0
Aco Blazeski
Regular Advisor

Hi Geert,

pls try with following line (nfs ver 3) for mounting on your Tru64 client:

hbsitvxt:/data /scsitvxt/data nfsv3 rw,bg 0 0

also, if UIDs and GIDs are the same, maybe you should try in exports on RHL server to specify user/priviledges for filesystem that you export. I'm not sure what's the syntax for RHL but for Tru64 I do something like this:

/export_dir -rw=client_hostname -root=client_hostname

Maybe above will work /:-|

Regards
Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

Per your advice I have done the following on the Red Hat server:

vi /etc/exports
/data hbsitlab(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

/sbin/init.d/nfs reload

and on the Tru64 client:

vi /etc/fstab
hbsitvxt:/data /scsitvxt/data nfsv3 rw,bg 0 0

umount /scsitvxt/data

mount /scsitvxt/data

hbsitlab$ ls /scsitvxt/data
NFS3 RFS3_GETATTR failed for server hbsitvxt : RPC: Authentication error
/scsitvxt/data not found

hbsitlab$ su -
Password:
lab# ls /scsitvxt/data
id068720 mysql

You see, from the root account it did always work, also with the following syntax:

vi /etc/exports
/data hbsitlab(rw,sync)

Only for non-root users it does not work with the following error... RPC: Authentication error
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Root access should be anonymous at the server side. Try the option all_squash to verify what happens.

Are you using local authentication or a directory server?
Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

Nothing changes ...

(on Red Hat NFS server)
vi /etc/exports
/data hbsitlab(rw,sync,all_squash)

/sbin/init.d/nfs reload

(on Tru64 client)
hbsitlab$ ls /scsitvxt/data
NFS3 RFS3_ACCESS failed for server hbsitvxt : RPC: Authentication error
/scsitvxt/data: I/O error
su -
lab# ls /scsitvxt/data
... mysql

Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

We are using local authentication... but the /etc/passwd & /etc/group files are in synch -> same UID & GID for both machines.