1751960 Members
4376 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 5.0 using VMware Update Manager

Floyd O
Occasional Advisor

HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 5.0 using VMware Update Manager

Does anyone know how to install the ESXi 5.0 offline bundle using VMware's Update Manager?

I downloaded the following .zip file which contains the .vip files and metadata.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=4142916&prodNameId=4142792&swEnvOID=4115&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-dd492ace50c6427389678df8be

The HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 5.0 includes the latest HP Common Information Model (CIM) Providers, HP Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) driver, and HP Compaq ROM Utility (CRU) driver.
The latest versions are hp-smx-provider-500.02.10.13.44-434156.vib, char-hpcru-5.0.0.8-1OEM.500.0.0.434156.x86_64.vib,and char-hpilo-500.9.0.0.8-1OEM.500.0.0.434156.x86_64.vib.

I then looked at the install tab on the HP site and it directs me to the link. http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.update_manager.doc_50/GUID-F7191592-048B-40C7-A610-CFEE6A790AB0.html

This is the VMware Update Manager documentation.

Unfortunately, I have not found the steps required for me to use the HP Zip file and push the offline update.

It would be great if someone has done this and can share the procedures.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Re: HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 5.0 using VMware Update Manager

Hi Floyd,

Below steps should help you out installing the HP offline bundle.

Installing Offline Bundles on an vSphere Update Manager:

1. On the Baselines and Groups tab, click Create above the Baselines pane.
  2. Type a name, and optionally, a description of the baseline.
  3. Under Baseline Type, select Host Patch, and click Next.
  4. Select Fixed for the type of baseline and click Next.
  5. Select individual patches to include and click the down arrow to add them to the Fixed Patches to Add list.
  6. (Optional) Click Advanced to find specific patches to include in the baseline.
  7. Click Next.
  8. On the Ready to Complete page, click Finish.

The new baseline is displayed in the Baselines pane of the Baselines and Groups tab.

========

Installing Offline Bundles on an ESXi 5.0 Host Using vSphereCLI 5.0 esxcli Utility:

You can use the esxcli utility in conjunction with offline bundles or with a depot. This topic describes
the procedure using offline bundles.

Prerequisites
Before you can update or patch an ESXi 5.0 host from the command line, you must have access to a machine on which you can run the VMware vSphere Command-Line Interface 5.0 (vSphereCLI).

You can install the vSphereCLI on your Microsoft Windows or Linux system. For information about importing or installing the vSphereCLI 5.0, see the VMware vSphere Command-Line Interface Guides at the following urls:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.vcli.getstart.doc_50/cli_about.html
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.vcli.ref.doc_50/vcli-right.html
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.vcli.examples.doc_50/cli_about.html.

Procedure
1. Power off any virtual machines that are running on the host and place the host into maintenance mode.

2. Transfer the offline bundle onto the ESXi host local path, or extract it onto an online depot.

3. Install the bundle on the ESXi host.

Install remotely from client, with offline bundle contents on a online depot:

esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib install -d <depotURL/bundle-index.xml>

Install remotely from client, with offline bundle on ESXi host:

esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib install -d <ESXi local path><bundle.zip>

Install from ESXi host, with offline bundle on ESXi host:

esxcli software vib install -d <ESXi local path><bundle.zip>
4. After the bundle is installed, reboot the ESXi host for the updates to take effect.

5. (Optional) Verify that the vibs on the bundle are installed on your ESXi host.

esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib list

6. (Optional) Remove individual vibs. <vib name> can be identified by listing the vibs as shown in #5.

esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib remove -n <vib name>

Thank you,

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Xantios

Hi, I tried the first solution, but with no luck. I did all the steps you pointed to, but when I do scan the hosts there are no new patches compliant. If I watch the list of patches the bundles are seen as "New module", as you can see on attachment.

Any Idea?

Thanks

Tony

Floyd O
Occasional Advisor

The HP stuff is not considered a patch, it's called an extension (different window in the GUI.)

It looks like you have to add an extension to the Baseline.

Xantios

Thanks. Now I see them as installable, but It seems they are not compliant. What should I do? Shall I try to install anyway?

Floyd O
Occasional Advisor

I saw that as well. Maybe somone can gives us some clarification on what being compliant means?

edwardm9

I think from reading the thread, that you have created a baseline with your HP offline package included in it.  Then when you scan the host to assess, the results come back as non-compliant?

If this is the case, then non-compliant in VUM mean the software installed on the host does not match the baseline.  Remediating the host would install the offline package you have included in your baseline.

Please let me know how this works out!

microsence
Occasional Visitor

Hi Pjagadish,

I've installed HP SIM application 6.3 with Window 2k8 enterprise edition.

I have 10 HP blade servers with different model with ESXi 5.0. Now my need to add all these HP ESX boxes to SIM app. for h/w monitoring.

Is your suggested above procedures is enough...

Thanks in Advance..

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

If the HP Image is installed you can straight away go ahead with HP SIM to discover the ESXi Server or else you if you have installed VMware Image on the server you need to install HP Offline bundle first.

Perform in the HP Systems Insight Manager GUI:

The task consists of discovering the VMware ESXi systems and identifying all the attributes from the operating systems and hardware. This will allow your device to be selected by the Remote Support Configuration and Services as eligible. Besides identifying the server, you must add country code, site and contact information. The identification process will require WBEM credentials to be added into the Options >> Protocol Settings >> Global Protocol Settings. This can also be done from the Systems Properties page for each one of the ESXi devices. I always recommend running an Identify Systems task from the Options menu right after adding the credentials. 

Finally:

Subscribe to WBEM Events from the Options >> Events menu in HP SIM. This will enable the system to send indications to HP Systems Insight Manager, Systems Event Analyzer and consequently to HP Support Center creating a case automatically.

Thanks,

Jagadish

-----------------
Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star on the left side of this post.
For HP Guided Troubleshooting; http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo