1748275 Members
3926 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: socket error 10013 when starting hpsum on 2008r2

alfl

socket error 10013 when starting hpsum on 2008r2

Hello,

I try to run the latest HPSUM version SPP2015060. I downloaded the iso file and extracted it's contents to an folder on the server. When running the launch_hpsum.bat i receive the following error message:

Error: Cannot launch hpsum_service_x64.exe locally. Reason: General failure. (SocketError 10013 : Er is geprobeerd toegang te verkrijgen tot een socket op een volgens de toegangsmachtigingen niet toegestane manier.

The last message is un dutch but translates to something like: An attempt was made to access a socket with a properly access permissions unauthorized way

I disabled the trendmicro antivirus, firewall etc. but this message keeps me from running the support pack.

Also tryed to run with elevated rights but still the same message ....

OS is Windows 2008r2

Server is : proliant ML110 G7

4Gb ram and plenty of free disk space

When trying to run hpsum 7.30 i have the same result, PSP 9.10 crashes the complete server during inventory of CP010988.

Does anyone know how i can get the server updated using any of these methods ?

4 REPLIES 4
maartenvdezz

I have the same problem, but I run Server 2012 R2.

CWTech
Occasional Advisor

I have also experienced the same SocketError 10013 problem on a HP DL360 G7 server with WS2012 R2.
When running the HPSum (SPP 2.15.10.0) locally on the server I received this error:

"Cannot launch hpsum_service_x64.exe locally.
Reason: General failure. (SocketError 10013 : An attempt was made to access a socket in a way
forbidden by its access permissions."

I then tried to run HPSum from another HP server to remote update this server but the process failed.
Looking in the HPSum logs I found the "SocketError 10013" and also the inventory failed with an error:
"Failed to copy Inventory/selfInventory xml files to host machine from remote node: 192.168.xxx.xxx"

You will find the log here (uncheck the show hidden & protected files):
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\HPSUM\binarylog\YourComputerName_Administrator.txt

CAUSE
This problem is caused by another service or application that uses the same TCP/IP Port.

Microsoft explains the socket error codes but are not very helpful in suggesting a solution on how to fix
the problem. Read more here: Microsoft Support

WSAEACCES (10013)

•Translation: Permission denied.

•Description: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way that is forbidden by its access permissions.

For example, this error occurs when a broadcast address is used for sendto but the broadcast permission
is not set by using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST).
Another possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind (Wsapiref_6vzm.asp)
function is called (in Microsoft Windows NT 4 .0 Service Pack 4 [SP4] or later), another program,
service, or kernel mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive access.
Such exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4.0 SP4 and later, and it is implemented by
using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option.

SOLUTION
I found a solution that worked in my case and on my server configuration.
If you have another configuration my solution may be a hint on how to solve your problem.

To solve the problem in the case of occupied TCP/IP port:
1. Find out which application uses the actual TCP/IP port(s) and disable or reconfigure this application.

2. You can find which program uses or blocks specific TCP/IP ports by using the "netstat -ano" command.
    In my case the Routing and Remote Acces Service (RRAS) was the cause of the socket error.

SOLUTION STEPS:

1. Disable all network adapters but the one connected to the domain. (May not be necessary if RRAS is stopped)

2. Stop the (RRAS) service

3. You may also want to allow WMI thru the Windows Firewall. (May need to if you plan to remote update the server)

4. Run the HPSum again and it should complete the inventory and install the updates

5. Enable ALL the previously disabled NICs and restart the RRAS

6. After a reboot of the server all items should be updated

I hope this will help other users with the same or similar problem

/CWTech

cKo7ii

As an additional workaround you can define the ports from executable, for example:

C:\Temp\SPP2016.04\\hp\swpackages\x64>hpsum_bin_x64 /port 2560 /ssl_port 4443
hpsum_service_x64.exe started successfully on port 2560, ssl port 4443 and ftp port disabled.

Hope it helps!

Henry Lizano
Occasional Visitor

Terrible!!!... It's greater solutions. Thank a lot.