1755609 Members
3391 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

20/40 Tape Drive failure?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

20/40 Tape Drive failure?

I've recently taken delivery of a new Proliant ML530 with a Wide-Ultra2 SCSI adapter.
I've taken a working 20/40GB tape drive from an existing server and installed it in this one.
When I try to use NTBackup to Restore, it permanently says the drive is busy. After a long wait I get an error message saying...
"Tape Drive Error Detected - Tape device reported an error on a request to rewind the tape. Error reported: Hardware failure."
An entry pops up in the Event Viewer every few minutes saying...
"The device, \Device\ScsiPort2, did not respond within the timeout period."

I have tried three different drivers... Compaq's driver for DLT4000, Quantums driver for DLT4000 and the driver from the other server (dlttape.sys?) where this tape unit still works OK. All give the same response.

The firmware revision for the unit is D996.

I have run the Compaq Diagnostic Test from F10 on the tape unit and it passes that OK.

Does anyone please have any bright ideas?

Thanks

Jeff
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: 20/40 Tape Drive failure?

Firstly, has the tape leader (the leader pulls the tape from the carteradge into the DLT) dropped off it's latch? push the tape flap forward and see if you can see the leader tape, it's there, goo, it's not pass it on to your hardware vendour for compaq to replace. Why not run the DLT from the internal SCSI?, it's fast enough. And to upgrade the ROM on the DLT see the ref to this URL:
http://www.compaq.com/products/storageworks/library/whitepapers/14JP-0301A-WWEN.html
TSMC (tape storage management console) is top, it allows you to flash your DLT's while the server is online.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Skop

It is on the internal SCSI !

I wasn't too keen on changing the firmware just for the sake of it, especially as it still works in our old server (which I have to keep going until this new server is up and running). Having said that I may try out of desperation !
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Oh, yes...and I've tried different tapes just in case.

Jeff
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Jeff:

Go into the F10 Setup Utility and change the Bus Speed on the Controller to SCSI-1.

Ed