1752805 Members
5663 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a M.2 drive to a ML350p Gen8 server

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Adding a M.2 drive to a ML350p Gen8 server

Today I have added a M.2 solid state drive to my ML350p Gen 8 server. I know others have asked this question before. and I wanted to share my experience.

I used a simple PCIe adapter card from Inateck. Search your favorite retailer and I'm sure you'll find other make/models of cards. I don't know if it's allowed to post links to 3rd party products here so I will let you do the searching. The card cost about $11 and includes a low profile slot cover and a heatsink for the M.2 drive.

I installed the card into slot 2. The overal fit was so-so. I think the slot cover is mounted too high up so the slot cover doesn't seat flush down to the slot frame. Tightening the card screw to the case causes the card to gently roll back a little. The card is secure and all the pins are making good contact with the slot. But ... this kind of thing makes you shake your head.

The card looks super simple. It has a socket for the M.2 drive and that drive is wired directly to the PCIe slot connector. Since it is this simple I would think any other adapter would work too.

I had a spare Intel 600p M.2 drive with a capacity of 256 GB. It's a slow drive but adequate for general testing. The server booted up just fine without any hitches or glitches. Windows Server 2019 recognized the drive right away. I was able to initialize it and create a parttion.

I'm hoping to upgrade the Intel drive for something faster with more capacity. Once I do I'll post some performance test results.

Thanks!

тАФ
Boris
3 REPLIES 3
Redbaron1973
Occasional Advisor

what effect did it have on fan speeds? 

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

The fans didn't change their speed after installing the card. However, they may be running faster than normal already due to the GeForce 1080 card.

тАФ
Boris
PabloCio
Visitor

@6BQ5 Did you manage to get started on it?
I'd like to put the same thing in my ML350p for the OS.