108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding drives to existing Raid 5 array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robyn Mabey

Adding drives to existing Raid 5 array

Hello,

I have a HP ProLiant ML530 (G2) server that has been running well for at least a year now, but it has come to the point where I need to add more storage space.

Currently there is an existing Raid 5 array setup with 3 logical drives (C,D,E). I would like to add a new drive into this existing array and add the new space onto an existing logical drive (D).

Firstly, is this possible with the ML530 G2? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

Rob

P.S. This thread has been moevd from ProLiant Servers - Netservers to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp forum Moderator

8 REPLIES 8
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding drives to existing Raid 5 array

Robyn:

It is possible what you want to do.

First: need to make sure that all firmware for server and array controller are uptodate.
- also you are using the latest array configurations utilities.

Second: need to make sure you are at sp4 from MS if this is windows 2000.

Third: Physically add the drive to the server.
go to Array configurations utility; and expand array A: to include that drive.

the expansion will take about 20 minutes for each gig in the array; depends on the size of your drives; could be 24 hours.

once the expansion is complete.

Fourth: then you need to add that unused space under array A : logical drive one to the logical drive. ; which hp calls Exteneding;

once you are done at the hardware level and HP Array config utilities said is done; then and only then you can go to disk management and you will see that available space at end of drive it would say unallocated.

Now comes the Software Part; you will have to use 3rd party partioning software; like partion commander or partion magic; check which software is compatable and will work fine for your version of the o/s ; the extend that partion to be included on partion on disk 0.

ProLiant Smart Array controllers
Support & Documents
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

Best regards,
and hope this is helpfull,

Tarek.

Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Robyn Mabey

You're a star, thanks very much for that excellent answer! I appreciate your help.
donkarnash
Occasional Contributor

Fantastic answer.....well done mate
"live like you will die tomorrow, learn like you will live forever". -- Mahatma Gandhi
Simon Wiium
Frequent Advisor

Hei there..

I've tried to add a drive to my P400 controller a ProLiant 180.

the GUI ACU doesn't have an optoin for adding drives and the CLI tells me it's "not possible with the current configuration" when I try to add drives to an array and a logicaldrive.

The manual on the Smart Array clearly states expanding is possible on the P400.

Thanks
Simon
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Do you have at 512 MB of BBWC on this controller.

You will need this BBWC for the expansion to work.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#t=Documents&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25&f:@kmdoctype=[cv60000006]&f:@kmdoctypedetails=[cv66000043]&hpe=1

Addition of the battery backed cache upgrade enables BBWC, RAID 6 with ADG, array expansion, logical drive extension, RAID migration, and stripe size migration.

Online array expansion (with BBWC upgrade)

Regards,

Tarek

Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Technical_guy
Advisor

@Tarek Kawach wrote:
Do you have at 512 MB of BBWC on this controller.

You will need this BBWC for the expansion to work.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#t=Documents&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25&f:@kmdoctype=[cv60000006]&f:@kmdoctypedetails=[cv66000043]&hpe=1

Addition of the battery backed cache upgrade enables BBWC, RAID 6 with ADG, array expansion, logical drive extension, RAID migration, and stripe size migration.

Online array expansion (with BBWC upgrade)

Regards,

Tarek

Hi,

I have proliant DL 380 g5, configured with 3 hard disk with  Raid 5 ( 2 Logical c & d Drive ).hosting exchange 2007 on

d drive , D drive is almost full, i have 3 new extra  hard disk on the server, how can i add them to the same array or extended the D partition. using them

Thank you

LouisH
Valued Contributor

The steps are listed in Tarek's reply at the top of this post.

Even though it's somewhat old, the steps are the same from a hardware view.

I don't know about the implications from an Exchange view, though.

I think it will work as indicated. I would only add one drive at a time and use the above procedure for each one.

Regards,

Louis

AbdullahHaleem

it's great, but what about losing data?