6307 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding second processor

Blackfoot
Occasional Contributor

Adding second processor

Hi,

I added a second processor to a new HP DL380p Gen8 server along with the appropriate RAM but when I turn the server on it only recognizes the 1st processor and memory.  The proc is properly seated and the memory is in the second proc's A slot.  I checked the BIOS and it is also onyl showing one processor present.  Any ideas??

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding second processor

You didn't say if second processor was purchased from HP. I'm guessing not.

I would first check existing processor specs, type, speed, step, cache, etc. Then check new one for same.

Sometimes a CPU will be same family, same speed, same cache but different step number so won't work.

The fact that BIOS doesn't recognize it is abit concerning. You might also change proc1 with two, leaving a single one installed to see if server recognizes the "new" one alone....

regards,

Louis

Blackfoot
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for answering.  Yes, it was purchased from HP through a vendor at the same time as the server was purchased but it just didn't come installed in the server.  I will try and swap CPUs to see if it recognizes the ssecond processor.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

After testing the new processor in the slot 1 and if its good, you may have to consider few more options like:

Is the power/power supply adequate for two processors?

Four fans must be installed for Processor 1 and for Processor 2, two additional fans must be installed.

Refer to the Server QuickSpecs here.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo