New Discussion

Re: B110i Smart Array hard drive insertion detection in DL320 G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
_Jim_
Occasional Contributor

B110i Smart Array hard drive insertion detection in DL320 G6

Hello,

We have approx 150 DL320 G6 servers deployed in the field, all of which are using two 1TB hard drives in a RAID1 (mirror) configuration using the embedded B110i controller.

We are embarking on a project to install one 2TB hard drive into these servers, which will be inserted into the third drive slot.

We've noticed that after the 2TB hard drive is inserted, the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) does not see the new hard drive until AFTER the server is rebooted.  This is consistent across different ACU and ROM versions.

We need to know if it is possible for the new hard drive to be visible to the system WITHOUT a reboot. We have tried the "Rescan System" option in the ACU, as well as viewing the diagnostics report for the "Smart Array B110i SATA RAID in Embedded Slot". Neither of these actions causes the new drive to be visible.

Is it possible for the system to detect the new hard drive WITHOUT having to reboot?  This would save us a great deal of time and effort for our storage upgrade project.

Many thanks for any information!

2 REPLIES 2
_Jim_
Occasional Contributor
Solution

I'll answer my own question...apparently an add-on license, the "HP Smart Array Hot Plug Advance Pack for B110i" (HP part number TC421A), is necessary for hot plug to work.  I have not tested it yet, but am feeling deflated that HP would actually charge a premium for this.

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Warming up an old thread, I'm sorry...

But I must say that I'm glad to read about this "solution". I have a DL320-G6 here (some people still use them) and I encountered the same issue. Hard drives are not recognised when they are installed or changed. I already replaced the disk backplane because I was sure it was a hardware defect.

I know that all the servers below the number 360 are somehow "amateur" stuff but a license for hot-swap? Why?

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"