ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748181 Members
3559 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Best Practice for installing OS and Database on Array

Cmotley

Best Practice for installing OS and Database on Array

Hello, this is my first server setup and I have a new HPE Proliant ML350 GEN10 Server with 4 each 600GB Drives and an HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 controller. My plan is to set up a RAID 5 array using three of the drives while making the fourth drive a Hot Spare. While setting up the RAID 5, I did not see a way to create the C and D partitions. (C for the OS and D for the database.)

After creating the RAID 5 array and installing Windows Server 2016, I booted the OS and resized the drive and created a D partition using Disk Manager in Windows.

Is there a downfall using this configuration?  Should I have purchased more drives and set up the OS separately using RAID 1 and the Data using RAID 5? 

2 REPLIES 2
Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the Partitions C & D in one Volume are created during Windows Setup, not on the Controller and not later.

But you can try this:

In the Raid Controller Setup, create a Array A with Raid 1.

Do not use all Space, set the Size to the Size for C.

Create a Volume in A.

Than create an Array B with Raid 5.

Create a Volume in B.

Install Windows.

You now have 2 Volumes.

First will be C with R1 and second D with R5, all on the same Drives.

(If you recreate the Array/Volumes, all Data is lost.)

As best Practice, I would prefer to add 2x 240GB SSD RI for the OS.

They are ceap, reliable and Windows boot and Updates are realy fast.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You can create your partitions in several ways.  Like you have currently, or you can create your RAID 5 array like you have done and then create two logical drives within the array, Logical drive one would be for the 'C' partition, and Logical Drive 2 would be for the 'D' partition.  You can also add more drives and create separate arrays for drive 'C' and 'D' as someone else mentioned

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!