1754807 Members
3725 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Brand New HP DL360 Gen 11 POST issues.

PieterRossouw
Frequent Visitor

Brand New HP DL360 Gen 11 POST issues.

So we recently procured an HPE MSA SAN (1060), and 2 x HP DL 360 Gen 11 Hosts.

First issue was relating to the SAN's CLI not functioning (comes up with USB descriptor failures - as mentioned on multiple threads in this forum). However HPE supplied 2 new Controllers today, which I set up. As part of the setup process I had to shut down both the DL360 Gen11's connectcing to the SAN.

After Starting up the Servers via ILO, I get to the point of "Starting required devices. Please wait, this may take a few moments...." I have waited for over an hour. POST code on the Remote Console Reads 0034.

This will be the second item in this batch that will need RMA'ing. I've tried everything, updating the firmware of all components to the latest, still nothing. Cannot even get into the BIOS, as getting into System Utilities is waiting for the "Starting required devices. Please wait, this may take a few moments...." to finish.

WHAT THE HELL HPE? I should have recommended Dell to this client.

5 REPLIES 5
GM_M
HPE Pro

Re: Brand New HP DL360 Gen 11 POST issues.

Hi PieterRossouw
We at HPE Support are always happy to assist you, i assume you are trying to boot from SAN.

If so, lets try to minimise the boot sequence and i request you to please disconnect the SAN, and see if POST boot gets susccessfully completed.

If above sequence is done, I would request you to check the boot order from SAN point of view, if any config is missed out.

Also, if you can reach to server console directly could you please check and let us know if any other errors are displayed.

Thanks and Regards,
Manoj.

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

PieterRossouw
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am not trying to boot from the SAN.

I am booting from an HPE MR409i-0 GEN 11 boot device, with VMWare ESX installed on it.

Its not even getting to the point of entering the boot menu, or system utilities.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

When the server performs power on self-test (POST), it also communicates with connected devices and hence depending on the devices and configuration, the POST completion time varies and is extended.

Hence, it is recommended to disconnect other devices and check if the server POSTs without this issue.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

PieterRossouw
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

There is no Connected devices.

The Server has 2 x 10GBE Ports, that is cabled to the MSA SAN, however they do not even get IP Addresses until after the server has booted and the IP Addresses are allocated through the ESXI Platform, so I fail to see how these ethernet adapters will be able to communicate to the SAN.

Simply stated, server does not even get to the initialisation stage of the Ethernet Adapters, I dont even get to the PXE boot attempt.

The Servers boot order is configured to boot to VmWare Vsphere UEFI, and this is done through a disk that is inside the Host.

Do you want me to start ripping out add-on cards from the system until it boots?

I've switched off the Switch Ports the 2 ethernet cables plug in to, and still the same result. Other than 2 ethernet cables plugged in, this server only has 2 Power cords plugged in to it, and the ILO interface.

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

Please disconnect the MSA boxes from the server and assess if the server can successfully boot to the operating system. Do not replace any components at this stage.

If successful, access the BIOS and confirm the boot order.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00002250en_us&page=GUID-D7147C7F-2016-0901-0A6A-0000000004A2.html

After shutting down the server, reconnect the MSA boxes and power them on. Ensure the drives on the MSA are initialized before powering on the server.

I'm aware that you've already updated the firmware on the server.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo