1755083 Members
4439 Online
108829 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BSOD on DL140 G3 while installing Win2k3

wolfich

BSOD on DL140 G3 while installing Win2k3

Hey all!
I've installing Windows 2003 on DL140 G3 and once I see "Starting Windows" string, setup crashes and BSOD with code 0x0000007b appears.
What I attemted to do:
-loaded SATA drivers (F6 on demand), the latest, from HP website;
-tried different SATA controler settings.

Now I have no idea what to do.
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

1. Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.
3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.
4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.
6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".
7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

Regards,
James.
wolfich

I've allready tried to disable RAID controller. There was no effect :(
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi wolfich

you mean the windows was already installed?
and now you're trying to log in?
if so
did you get any error on safe mode F8?

---------------

or you're getting that error after the first installation phase (I mean blue phase)

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
wolfich

No, Windows is not installed yet. This crash appears on the very first steps of installation, when drivers are loading (when you are offered to press F6 to load 3d party drivers, you should know this step). After all drivers seems to be loaded, the string "Starting Windows" appears, and then I see BSOD.
S├╕ren Emig
Occasional Advisor

It could be a memory related issue. If its possible - try systematically yanking modules out and try install windows again. If success you have found the defect one.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Its a clear mismatch of drivers.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Did u try disabling the Raid controller AND use only ONE hdd to install OS as you would in a Normal PC ?

If you have tried this & still end up with BSOD, try :
1) minimum Memory
2) DIFFERENT OS CD/DVD.
3) different HDD.

Once the OS is installed on one HDD, setting up RAID can be taken care of later.

Regards,
James.
wolfich

The problem of BSOD was solved by using IDE CDROM. But there is the other trouble now: Windows setup can't see SATA HDD. Even when I load them from the floppy. When I build drivers in the distributive, the same BSOD appears. I tried all drivers in the Storage Controller section for no use.
wolfich

All problems are solved! Thanks for your assistance, everyone! For further trobleshooting I'll write down the steps, solving my problem.

1) I used IDE CD-ROM
2) I created Windows 2003 distributive with build-in drivers (using nLite, http://www.nliteos.com/ ).
3) Pushed a litle my HDD into the server case - the problem of undetecting HDD was a missing contact (HP bug, I think, he-he, the lock was clicked, but HDD wasn't connected).

P.S. About p.2. I think you could solve this point using floppy.

Best regards, Dmitri.