1752777 Members
6695 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot Access Original drive data when moved controller to 5302

Jim Maxwell
Occasional Advisor

Cannot Access Original drive data when moved controller to 5302

I am upgrading storage on a dl380 proliant.

I have a 4354 shelf with 10 36GB drives (5+5) connected via ports 3 and 4 on a smartarray 5304 controller.

I have another 4354 shelf with 10 72 GB drives (5+5) which I have swapped for the first shelf and I have successfully restored the last good backup from tape to the new array.

I have reconnected the old shelf and drives to another proliant dl380 server on the same network via a smartarray 5302 controller on ports 1 and 2 (naturally)

When I boot the second server with the old array connected it warns me that the array configuration is wrong as the array was originally connected to ports 3 and 4 and is now connected to ports 1 and 2 and asks me to correct the problem.

When I connect to the 5302 controller with the array diagnostic utility or the array configuration utility they see the controller o.k. and all the disks but no array is defined and no logical drives are seen - just the 10 physical drives split 5+5 across the two scsi channels.

The original logical arrays were configured as two RAID5 volumes.

How do I get access to the original data on the new controller ?

I do not have another 5304 controller so is there some way to force the 5302 controller to ignore the old channel assignments as recorded by the drives (channels 3 and 4) and use the new controller channels instead (channels 1 and 2) without losing my original data ?

An urgent response would be appreciated as I am currently mid upgrade and normal system service will be expected soon.

Regards,

Jim Maxwell

2 REPLIES 2
Florin Voicu
Occasional Advisor

I am afraid that the migration of the configuration from 5304 RAID controller to 5302 It is not possible. The both controllers should be identical.
see
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/documentation.html
(Smart Array Technology: Basics and Advantages of Battery-Backed Cache)

There it is a possibility to migrate from 5304 but to 6404 only and the procedure it is explained on "Migrating from a Smart Array 5304 to a Smart Array 6404" documentation available on the same web location mentioned above. Using Array Configuration Replicator (ACR) or the scripting capability of ACU it is possible to make this data and configuration settings migration. (http://www.hp.com/servers/sstoolkit)

I hope this helps you,
f.
Jim Maxwell
Occasional Advisor

Florin,

Thanks for the response - I have checked out the first document reference and cannot find anywhere in it the fact that the 5300 series controllers should/must be the same ?

The second reference is generally usefull in terms of detailing storage upgrade methods.

I am still trying to recover this array which I now have got connected to another 5304 controller but am unsure as to the exact steps necessary now to achieve this.

Also con somebody please point me at something in the Compaq/HP documentation which states definitively that you cannot migrate a storage array from a 5304 to a 5302 ?

Thanks again,

Jim