1752842 Members
3310 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot reboot with RDX unit plugged in

Paul Starr
Frequent Advisor

Cannot reboot with RDX unit plugged in

Server is HP Proliant ML150-G6 running Windows Server 2003. We recently added an external HP RDX Disk Cartridge system to do scheduled backups. In normal circumstances, everything works very well. If the system requires a re-boot due to an update, or a power failure, Windows fails to load. If we disconnect the RDX drive, the system reboots normally. There are no entries in the event logs that give any reason for the boot failure. I have checked the bios settings but I do not see the USB device in the list of boot options. Your prompt help would be very much appreciated.
Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
2 REPLIES 2
lisa bitto
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cannot reboot with RDX unit plugged in

I am having the same problem. Is there any resolution to this?
Paul Starr
Frequent Advisor

Re: Cannot reboot with RDX unit plugged in

This problem was resolved by an HP Tech several months ago. Here is a copy of the reply:

In regards to the RDX case I was able to reproduce your issue and actually I found out was is going on.

The issue at hand will only happen if the RDX cartridge is installed, since the RDX is a USB device it takes priority on other devices on POST; also the cartridge is a SATA device so at boot it will take priority and server will try to boot off the RDX device.

So what I did was to access the BIOS and go to the ├в Boot├в tab, selected ├в Hard Disk Drives├в and then changed the priority of the devices moving the RDX to option 2.

After changing the above settings I tested machine by causing reboots at least 5 times and result was always the same; server was able to boot to Windows every time.

Hope this helps.

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.