1757756 Members
1993 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cant boot

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

cant boot

My PROLIANT SERVER HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ABOUT 3YRS. i STOPPED IT FOR 3 DAYS BUT IT WONT BOOT. WHEN IT IS POWERED THE SCSI BLINKS AND THEN THERE IS NO ACTIVITY. YOU CAN ONLY HEAR THE FAN. WHAT CAN I DO? THE LED LIGHTS FOR THE SCSI AND THE POWER DOES NOT COME ON AT ALL

WILLIE
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Remove all scsi devices from the system board, downsize memory to standard-64mb, 1 processor, disconnect mouse and keyboard and power unit up to see if you get video, power and fans (power supply fan and the system fan).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

My 1600 did the same thing. After many trying hours with Compaq and several support guys, (who by the way were telling me that the problem just had to be the P5 cable), I was finally elevated to 3rd level support, who immediately told me the problem was timing with the 400 to 600 Mhz processor in conjunction with the redundant power supply. I was shipped processor bd, IO bd and processor, saying this would handle it.

I will post an update later upon completion of installation.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

success on the installation of the new processor board. This allowed me to boot reliably after all circumstances of shut downs that I tried.

There was indeed a timing issue, which seems to have been resolved with Revision "P" of the processor Board.

Thank you Compaq, 3rd level support.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I HAVE A THE FOLLOWING SAME PROBLEM ON 2 PL1600: WHEN IT IS POWERED, THE FAN TRY TO TURN , HARDS DISKS BLINK AND AFTER NO ACTIVITY. I DID WHAT YOU TELL on the 2 servers (REMOVING ALL THING, RESET THE BATTERY...)AND IT SOLVE THE PROBLEM ON 1 ON THE PL 1600. BUT THE OTHER STELL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

See above, I replaced the Processor Board with a revision "P" board. It resolved the issue.

Also check the p5 connector as it may also have an issue. I had to reform some pins to allow better connection on the connector
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Mine has been working for about 3 years also. I have a Proliant ML350. Mine went down while still in operation. I was my primary domain controller. I came in one day and received several error message about not being able to find the primary domain controller. I went into the server room and it was blinking exactly as you have described. I've tried all of the disconeect, unseat, and reseat everything, disconnect everything down to min memory, non SCSI's, and one processor and it is still just blinking. If I remove the Memory management card I one get one blink, but it still is powering off. Very frustrating...