5275 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Design archtect

HondrickWanjala
Regular Visitor

Design archtect

Hi team,

I would like to offer a solution on a set up comprising two HPE DL 380 servers to connect to MSA 1040 storage.

If anyone on the forum could give two types of connectivity through direct attach storage and sfp connection using fibre cabble.

hwanjala
3 REPLIES 3
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Hello,

This is sort of a broad question, can you give a little more detail of what type of answer you are expecting? What operating system are you using? Do you already have the servers or buying those? If you already have servers, do they have any NICS or FC/SAS HBAs in them? You mention FC as one need but "direct connect" as another. Do you have a preference on connectivity type on the other (i.e. SAS/iSCSI/FC)? Do you have the MSA 1040 already? Which model is it (1GB/10GB/SAS/FC)? 

If you are purchasing all this stuff new then you'd be looking for DL380 Gen10 and MSA 1050 (or 2050). 

I'm not sure I understand your question about direct attach and using fibre cable but let me explain a little bit. The MSA 1040 must be purchased in a specific configuration (FC, 1GB iSCSI, 10GB iSCSi, or SAS). Any of these technically support direct connect in which you could use the appropriate cable (RJ45, 10GB SFP+ DAC, SAS cable, or FC cable) to connect from the array to the hosts. However iSCSI direct connect is not supported on some OS's (like ESXi) and SAS connectivity sometimes has a very narrow supported path. In general, FC gives you the most supported options. You can direct connect FC on any supported OS (assuming the HBA supports direct connect) and if the environment grows you simply recable through FC switches. iSCSI can give you similar upgrade options but may require switches from the get go on some OS's (like ESXi). 

So, if I didn't answer your question, please provide some more detail about what you have (or are planning on buying) and what type of detail you are hoping to get in a reply. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

HondrickWanjala
Regular Visitor

Hello,

Thank you so much. What i alraedy have is 2 dl 380 g9 servers and 1 MSA 1040 Storage the storage cabe with is sfps am using an alcatel 6860 switch. am planning to buy 10g uplink  alcated sfp and Fc cabbles for connection.

Regsrds,Wanjala

hwanjala
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Thanks. Just so I am clear; the 1040 is the Fibre Channel version or the 10GB iScsi version? The FC one would require an SFP and a Fibre cable (LC to LC). The 10GB version can use a Fibre cable (LC to LC) or you can remove the SFP and use a DAC cable.

Sent from my iPhone

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo