ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1778076 Members
1798 Online
109081 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: DL380 G10 Does onboard SATA support hotswap?

SOLVED
Go to solution
hc1001

DL380 G10 Does onboard SATA support hotswap?

When i connect a SSD while the system is already powered up, the disk is not recognized by the OS. If i restart the system, it shows up. 

It seems the disk must be connected before POST in order for the system to recognize it. I couldnt find any settings in the BIOS.

Can anyone help me enable hotswap or is it not possible with the onboard SATA controller?

I have the 8 port SFF backplane cage, and samsung 870 evo 1tb ssds.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
support_s
System Recommended

Query: DL380 G10 Does onboard SATA support hotswap?

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server - Spare Parts

2. HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Plus Server - Spare Parts

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

rabindra11sharm
Trusted Contributor

Dear  hc1001

As per your given informatg ion, I can see you are trying to add a Samsung Evo 870 SSD  1TB HDD.  There is two things 1. Samsung EVO 870 is not a Hot Swap HDD, 2. It is not a HPE recomended part for your server model. Please use only HPE recomended part to get proper support and performence.

I could provide you with clear and helpful instructions.If you have any more questions or need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help!

Have a great day!

Bunsol
HPE Pro

The Onboard SATA ports are not plug and play and should not be done when the server is in powered on state. Always power off the server, remove Power supplies then only connect cables to the onboard connectors.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Amjad_kasem
Frequent Advisor

The HPE Server Options Compatibility Tool

Hello @hc1001 ,

Could you please try using the [HPE Server Options Compatibility Tool]

https://hpeseroptcomptool.it.hpe.com/

This application helps identify qualified options and their compatibility for various platforms, including Rack & Tower, BladeSystem, Synergy, HyperScale, and Storage systems.

Technivision FZE
Amjad_kasem
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Enabling embedded chipset SATA controller support
Use the Embedded SATA Configuration option to enable embedded chipset SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) controller support. You can select AHCI or HPE Smart Array SW RAID Support. Make sure that you are using the correct operating system drivers for your selected option.

CAUTION:
Dynamic Smart Array is not supported when the boot mode is configured to Legacy BIOS Mode. Enabling Dynamic SmartRAID RAID results in data loss or data corruption on existing SATA drives. Back up all drives before enabling this option.
See your operating system documentation before enabling SATA AHCI support to ensure your base media drivers support this feature.
Prerequisites
  • The correct operating system drivers for your selected option.
  • Boot Mode is set to UEFI Mode.
Procedure
  1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Storage Options > SATA Controller Options > Embedded SATA Configuration.
  2. Ensure that you are using the correct ACHI or RAID system drivers for your SATA option.
  3. Select a setting.

• SATA AHCI Supportā€”Enables the embedded chipset SATA controller for AHCI.
    • SmartRAID SW RAID Supportā€”Enables the embedded chipset SATA controller for Dynamic SmartRAID RAID.

wassim sata.png

Technivision FZE