Mike64
Occasional Contributor

DL380 Gen10 Plus - Console Display

Hello,

Environment 

HPE DL380 Gen10 Plus

SPP 2023.03.00.00

Windows Server 2022 Core.

An external monitor is not usually connected.

Issue

After a number of days, there is no console output.

This includes when a monitor is connected to the rear VGA port, iLO HTML5 Console (displays 'no video') and HPE iLO Integrated Remote Console utility (displays 'no video').

While there is no console video, I am able to connect by RDP and remote PowerShell and use the OS interface as normal. The server operates as expected except for no console video.

When the UID LED is pressed, on the server, the 'Server Health Summary' screen is displayed as normal on a VGA monitor.

'VGA Port Detect Override' setting is enabled in the iLO.

A server restart resolves the issue temporarily. During the restart console output is normal. The console displays the login prompt. After a number of days, the console video is lost again.

I do not want to update any firmware, if at all possible, as all our servers are standard in terms of SPP.

This issue occurs on two Server 2022 core servers.

ESXi hosts do not lose VGA console output.

Any help appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Mike64
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 Gen10 Plus - Console Display

The cause of this issue is detailed in this HPE advisory.

Advisory: HPE ProLiant Servers - When the External Monitor is Removed, Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Integrated Remote Console (IRC) Connection Displays a Black Screen After a "Sign out" or "Switch User" on Microsoft Windows Server 2016

The workaround, of pressing "Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B" on the blank screen, caused the screen to recover and returned the display to normal.

Not ideal but, now we know what the issue is, we can work around it.

Mike

Sunitha_Mod

Re: DL380 Gen10 Plus - Console Display

@Mike64

Hello Mike,

Great! We are extremely glad to know you've managed to find a workaround and we appreciate you for keeping us posted. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo