5459 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 - network detected as 100MBps not 1Gbps

no_name
Frequent Advisor

DL380 - network detected as 100MBps not 1Gbps

dear,

I just bought new server DL 380 G8, and use gigabit switch from HP too.

just curious, why status on network show 100Mbps for speed, not 1Gbps?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 - network detected as 100MBps not 1Gbps

Are you looking at the iLO port, or is the server powered off at the moment?

Keeping up a gigabit link takes more power than a 100 Mbps link. When the server is powered down and the NIC is kept active only for the Wake-on-LAN functionality, the NIC can switch down to 100 Mbps speed to save power. When the server is running, unconfigured NICs might also be completely powered down, or in a 100 Mbps low-power state.

(That might actually be a compromise between the current strong trend to save power in order to be more eco-friendly, and the convenience of having the link LEDs light up to confirm a good cable connection as soon as a cable is plugged in, even if the NIC is not configured yet.)

Likewise, an iLO interface might be 100 Mbps only, as there is not much need for higher speeds with the iLO.

MK
no_name
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I'm use other Port beside iLo.

from the beginning (when I turn on the server), until log-in, LAN speed still 100 Mbps.

I tried to wait half hour, but speed still same.

Is it ok, if I set the speed to gigabit (via hardware properties)?

thanks.

Skotte
Frequent Advisor

Hi.

Is the switch managed or unmanaged?

If it's managed, have you set the port as auto?

Have you tried using a different cat6 / 5e cable?

Damaged shielding on the cable can cause issues with the detected speed.

Cheers

Leon

Simpat
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Is there any ways to bring the NIC down/up with the server?

When server power on, NIC should be up. When server power down (or shutdown OS), NIC should be down.

|------------- ( ^__^ )--------------|
I'm Happy when You're Happy
areddy005
Visitor

what u have told is true. but help me out in enabling the 1 gbps i did not even connect to the ilo port i did connect to the direct lan port and then to a managed switch. and my switch is 1gbps enabled. but it is still not working. and in the adv settings speed and duplex options show only 100 mbps as last option 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@areddy005 wrote:

what u have told is true. but help me out in enabling the 1 gbps i did not even connect to the ilo port i did connect to the direct lan port and then to a managed switch. and my switch is 1gbps enabled. but it is still not working. and in the adv settings speed and duplex options show only 100 mbps as last option 

Your responding to a thread that was create in 2013.  It might be better to start a new thread and give all the details of your current issue such as what model server you are working with, and the switch type you are conencting to

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!