ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755026 Members
5482 Online
54827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G3 showing wrong CPU speeds

Craig_57

DL380G3 showing wrong CPU speeds

I have a DL380G3 in a dual CPU setup. It came with the 2.80GHz Xeon cpu, and we added in a second 2.8GHz Xeon CPU. During the POST, I noticed that it was now showing both CPUs at 2.40GHz. Removing the new CPU, during the POST, it showed the CPU at 2.80GHz. Any ideas why when adding in the second CPU that it reports both CPUs at 2.40 GHz?
4 REPLIES 4
Craig_57

I have solved my own problem. The box said that the CPU was a 2.80GHz CPU, but upon looking at the actual CPU itself, I noticed that it was stamped as a 2.40GHz CPU.
George_88

Hello Craig,

As you say , you have added a second CPU to a 380 G3.
I am trying to do the same but when i move the handle to secure the cpu it does not secure well the CPU.It looks like the CPU does not fit completeley into the heatsink.
Dit you have a similar problem?IS there a certain way to insert the CPU to the heatsink and then to the CPU slot? all of them are alligned the correct way but i can not secure the CPU
Can you help please? I have posted a message to day under name George and ML 380 G3 subject
georgep
Victor Pendlebury
Valued Contributor

Hi George

The New Xeon processors are a litle tricky to install : be sure that you push the lever all the way ( about 135?? ) or else the socket won't properly open and the proc won't be secured

Regards

Vic
Craig_57

As previously noted, the Xeon chip is kind of tricky to install. I noticed this as well with a previous 380 G3 server that I was working on. I was very concerned about this, but when I locked the latch and locked the CPU cage, the CPU was in there pretty tight and everything tested OK.

Craig