1753888 Members
7511 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380p Gen 8 No Display No Post Red System Health LED

RDabrowski
Occasional Contributor

DL380p Gen 8 No Display No Post Red System Health LED

Hey all, we have a DL380P 25-bay SFF that we have been trying to get going. It was operational when it was shut down (to the best of our knowledge), but since bringing it to our office it will not post or give any display when powered on and the system health LED is flashing red. I will break down what has been done to try and resolve this issue.

1. Connected to iLo, it shows Bios/Hardware critical, does not show any server specific info such as firmware revisions etc it all says not available.
2. Reflashed the firmware for both the bios and the iLo - No Change
3. Took the server to minimal config with just 1 CPU, 1 stick of RAM - No Change
4. Tested the CPUs and RAM in another server and it booted without issue
5. Disconnected the SAS controller - No Change
6. Replaced the SAS controller with one out of a working server - No Change (although the SID on it does show the CPU as amber, if we have both CPUs installed it shows both as amber, if we drop it to 1 CPU it shows that 1 as amber, even with CPU from a working server, and having tested this CPU in another server and verifying functionality and that the CPU does not show amber on that server)
7. Replaced the power supplies and connector module to the motherboard with ones out of a working server - No Change
8. Replaced all of the fans with ones out of a working server - No Change
9. Replaced the PCI Riser with one out of a working server - No Change
10. Removed the raid cache card - No Change
11. Replaced the raid cache card with one out of a working server - No Change
12. Replaced the CPU with an identical one out of a working server - No Change
13. Reset iLo by removing the battery and power - No Change
14. Removed the NIC card - No Change
15. Replaced the NIC card with one out of a working server - No Change
16. Replaced the motherboard - No Change
17. Set the Dip switches 1,5,6 - No Change
18. Set the Dip switch 6 - No Change
19. Replaced the memory with memory from a working server - No Change
20 - Ensured we have the memory seated in the correct slots per the 1CPU and 2CPU config diagram on the case - No Change

At the point we replaced the motherboard, we took the old board and set it up on our bench outside of the case to be sure it wasn't a grounding issue - No Change
We now have 2 motherboards doing the same thing, one with the original hardware that was with it, and the 2nd with all the hardware on it having come from a running server.

When the server is powered off all lights are green. When we power the server on all lights stay green, fans spin up, right after that the system health LED goes to flashing red, no display, no post. If we leave it on the fans will occasionally still spin up/down as if trying to regulate temperature but they don't "stay spun up"...

We are at an absolute loss here.

5 REPLIES 5
PZel
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL380p Gen 8 No Display No Post Red System Health LED

Probably the SID is defective (Insight Display). Because of that the server thinks that the temperature too high is.

How to checK: Loose the flatcable (labeled SID on motherboard) from motherboard to the Insight Display and check whether it is working now. It can work without it.

Order a new SID 662515-001 (LFF) or (662516-001 (SFF)

PZ
RDabrowski
Occasional Contributor

The 25-Bay SFF didn't come with the SID it only had the health led, which flashes red.  I tried the SID from another server and that was the one that reported the CPUs as amber, didn't detect the fans but did detect the power supplies if we unplugged one.  So in theory I have tried it with the SID, without the SID and with the health LED from the original front panel (when I swapped the SAS controllers it moved the front panel/sid with it)

RDabrowski
Occasional Contributor

We have determined that our luck is horrible and we got sent a replacement board that has the same failure.  We took every component off of the motherboard and moved it to a working motherboard and it continued to work without issue.  Our luck...

RDabrowski
Occasional Contributor

We actually just replaced the 2nd board with a 3rd one and are experiencing the same issue... I really don't understand this.  We have taken the motherboard and put it in a working server with the working components and it does not work, we have taken those components and put them back on the board that was originally in that test server and it still functioned fine.  Is it really possible we have 3 boards with the same issue?  There is nothing else that we can remove or replace on the board to continue troubleshooting....

KDean7
Occasional Visitor

After a similar issue and similar troubleshooting, I disconnected the SID flat cable and powered on.  The server powered on normally.

Thank you to this community for helping to resolve my issue !!

KD