1767494 Members
4239 Online
108962 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL385 Gen11 AMD 9174F Fan Noise

Itzikbenabu
Advisor

HPE don't want us to connect 3 party cards to the system so they increase the fans when the system recognized non supported cards. I open case in hpe support this is there answer regarding the ilo redfish api command this is the only way to lower the fans but the problem is that you need to reapply it every time you do cold reboot or unplug the power cable I also open support case about this and there answer was that the ilo api can't be save after reboot this is by design.

HPE is not like other corporation like cisco for example they allow to connect 3 party sfp hardware by running cli command and we need to confirm that when there is problem we don't have support until we remove the unsupported hardware.

My problem was with PCIE to NVME M.2 adapter when I connect it the system fans was on 60% this make a lot of noise.

נשלח מה-Galaxy שלי
Nikolai1
Occasional Visitor

Getting same error message:

{"error":{"code":"iLO.0.10.ExtendedInfo","message":"See @Message.ExtendedInfo for more information.","@Message.ExtendedInfo":[{"MessageId":"Base.1.17.Success"}]}}

How did you get it to work?

Itzikbenabu
Advisor

It work you got successful.

נשלח מה-Galaxy שלי
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

In my case, fans running at 58% with server idle and very loud. Noise reduced by physically removing MR408i-o OCP RAID controller. For other reasons we switched to SR932i-p RAID controller, but left MR408i-o in the OCP slot (disabled in bios).  Physically removing the OCP card results in fans running at 18% during idle.  Still not 36dBA as listed in the quickspecs (more like 60 dBA), but the complaining stopped. Consider the issue resolved.  Now if I could only find a way to reduce the 58% fan speed on a ML350 Gen11 in the same basic configuration (removing the MR408 from this server had no effect). Since the fans are larger than DL385 fans, they are not as noisy, but noise could be reduced.  

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Perhaps HPE Power and Thermal considers MR408i-o a 3rd party card?

Itzikbenabu
Advisor

Hi,
It's not supposed, I think that you need to open support case to solve the problem.

Thanks,
Itzik

נשלח מה-Galaxy שלי
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Fan speed has subsequently increased along with noise for no apparent reason.  Current resolution is:

curl --request PATCH --url 'https://[ILO_IP]/redfish/v1/Chassis/1/Thermal/' --user '[ILO_USER]' --header 'content-type: application/json' --insecure --data '{"Oem": {"Hpe": {"FanPercentAdjust": 50}}}'

Strangely enough, there is no command go retrieve the current setting of FanPercentAdjust.  You can retrieve all variables in a file but it does not contain this one.

In my case, there is no effect on temperatures after this change as viewed with ILO6.  Also, this value seems to get thrown away every time I disconnect/reconnect power to the server. Suspect ILO fw upgrade will throw it away as well. 

dpconsulenze

Good morning, I tried to launch the curl command

curl --request PATCH --url 'https://192.168.2.20/redfish/v1/Chassis/1/Thermal/' --user 'Administrator' --header 'content-type: application/json' --insecure --data '{"Oem": {"Hpe": {"FanPercentAdjust": 50}}}'

but I receive these errors:

curl: (3) URL rejected: Port number was not a decimal number between 0 and 65535
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: application
curl: (3) unmatched brace in URL position 1

how can I solve it? I have noisy fan problems on HPE ML350 gen11, I updated the drivers and firmware.