ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753993 Members
7245 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL385p G8 post error 246 (Option Rom Space limitation)

nixeco
Occasional Advisor

DL385p G8 post error 246 (Option Rom Space limitation)

After talking to an HP customer support tech, it sounds like the system can not post more than 1 "other" potentially bootable catagory device. In other words, only 1 bootable non-hp add-on card is allowed, Is this right. (System options menu).

Is this a hardware or firmware limitation. It sounds like an HP marketing thing, which renders these machines nearly useless to me. (Just speculation) What is the true source of this limitation? Bios has no way to id more?

Am I getting this right, or is there a bios option I am missing? Any info on the hardware architecture surrounding this error?

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Never seen this.

From TS Guide:

246– IMPORTANT: The system has exceeded the amount of available Option ROM
space.
...The Option ROM for one or more devices cannot be executed.
Action: Disable unneeded Option ROMs (such as PXE).
Audible beeps: 2 short
Possible cause: The amount of available Option ROM space was exceeded.
Action: Disable any unneeded Option ROMs.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
nixeco
Occasional Advisor

Seems od - yes.

I have the PXE option off already. 

It shows up when I try try to add a second "other" non HP bootable type device, such as an Adaptec raid card etc.

The card will work, but I cannot access post options to manage arrays etc.

This (A28) system does not have any SATA ports except for cd drive, so I am using a sata card with M.2 SSD for the system drive. (potentially great solution as I don't have to waste a front panel drive slot for OS).

The downside with this system is that it takes 1he only "other" device in the system options menu.

Before, when I was using a P420I drive slot for system, this error showed up when I put in a second "other" device, such as a second Adaptec raid card. (want to have a 6G and a 10G raid controller on top of the HP intternal raid controller.

I have never seen this type problem on any standard ATX md, so I suspect that it comes from HP marketing, trying to  . keep users in the HP family. etc. (my speculation only).

Whatever the source ( hardware, or firmware ) it severly limits the usefulness of these systems (Have several)..

I am both a hardware and software engineer with 17 years experience in Silicon Valley, so I would like to get to the bottom of this, and determine if these are useable systems for my future project(s).

Any more thoughts?

Thanks, for whatever input you can dig up.

r

From TS Guide:

246– IMPORTANT: The system has exceeded the amount of available Option ROM
space. - what space?
...The Option ROM for one or more devices cannot be executed.
Action: Disable unneeded Option ROMs (such as PXE). - have done
Audible beeps: 2 short
Possible cause: The amount of available Option ROM space was exceeded. - yes, but why, can the space be increased.

We are beyond the days when we had to count every byte to get the code to fit available space!

Action: Disable any unneeded Option ROMs. -  have done so as much as possible.

Seems to boil down to the number of "other" devices. - It allows only 1.

Is this a true hardware limitation? Why?

I need to get unstuck, Thanx,

R