4938 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL60 Gen9 - SATA DVD Drive in Smart Array Unsupported Device

Dammz
Occasional Collector

DL60 Gen9 - SATA DVD Drive in Smart Array Unsupported Device

Hello

Recently I configured HP DL60 Gen9 Server for install MS Windows Server 2012 R2. All went smooth but after a week there is an indication in Smary Array as it detects the HP DVD drive as SATA HDD and it available in physical devices in Smart array controller.

352. The Physical Drive, 0 GB 4Kn SATA HDD at Port3I : Bay 9 is not supported for configuration by this version of controller firmware.

The server has latest firmware and I tried unplug and plug the DVD rom, but no luck.

Please assist.

Best Regards,
Root1

10 REPLIES 10
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

is it cabled properly? from the image it appears you have the non-hotplug version of the sysrtem which has 4 individual connections to the drives and the DVD is plugged into one of those conenctions. the DVD doesn't plug into a cable connected to the mini-SAS connector, it plugs directly into a SATA port on the system board

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Dammz
Occasional Collector

Hello Jimmy

Thank you for your reply.

So how can I remove this warning.?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Dammz wrote:

Hello Jimmy

Thank you for your reply.

So how can I remove this warning.?

How is it cabled? if the issue is incorrect cabling you need to remove he DVD from the hard drive bay cables

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Dammz
Occasional Collector

Thank you for the reply.

I have contacted HP Support and according to them "the DVD drive is connected to the SATA connectors on the System Board which is correct, but due to some reason the HDD is detected by the Smart Array Controller. We are doing a research on the issue and will get back to you with appropriate action plan."

Now I am waiting for their feedback.  

greg_or_e

Did you receive any update on this issue?

I am currently experiencing the same warning on my HPML110 Gen 9.

Dammz
Occasional Collector

Hello

Please see the below reply from HP Enterprise support.

Thu 1/7/2016 2:02 PM

"We have escalated the case to level 2 and seems like it’s a bug in the Smart Storage Administrator. The new version SSA is still not made available for the customer and is still being tested.

The existing SSA version will be replaced by the new one in all the utilities like Intelligent Provisioning, Offline Bundle etc…"

Thanks
Dammz

Eric Zimmerman
Occasional Contributor

I have the exact same problem concerning the 4Kn drives. Same message,. that they are not available for configuration in RAID. I haven't tried using the HBA mode, but that would rather defeat the purpose of all those GB of cache. It doesn't matter if they are on the P440ar or the P840 controller. I don't share the DVD experiences however. My DVD is behaving itself.

On the RAID controllers,  I am using version 3.56 on all controllers now, and have tried all the others leading up to it.......well as much as you can do with a DL380 Gen9 first purchased in early 2015. This seems to be a huge oversite, what with all the talk as to how we will all be moving on the 4Kn format.......from years back. Please post if you have any luck with this situation. I am evaluating 3rd party controllers at this stage. Since we were never told that 4kn was not compatible, we (like dummies) started buying 4kn drives. Color me red. Guess we will have to go back to building our own hardware with current-standards components.

Eric Zimmerman
Occasional Contributor

Well, I was wrong. Now it IS affecting my SATA DVD kit. I'm getting the same message on a new DL380 Gen9. However, I didn't get it before two things happened: 1) I upflashed the new B140i BIOS, and 2) I replaced the DVD with a BluRay. I see that your original problem concerns the HP DVD, so I'm going to stick that back in and (if necessary) start backflashing from there. Here's hoping. Now, if only it was that easy to get the 4Kn HDD's to work with the HP hardware. One awful thing that I found this profoundly affects with the DVD: It doesn't restore a BMR correctly....or in most cases, at all. Backs up fine, but fails restore every time.
Purico

Did you get this sorted? I have the same issue on an ML150 Gen9