ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752564 Members
4809 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID cache module batteries/capacitors that are recharging

GHeijmans
Visitor

Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID cache module batteries/capacitors that are recharging

I have a HP Proliant DL360e G8 with the Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID embedded controller.
the 512MB FBWC module with capacitor pack are installed.
For some reason I get two warnings an the cache is permanently disabled :

772 Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID in Embedded Slot has one or more cache module batteries/capacitors that are recharging. Caching operations such as Expansion, Extension, and Migration are temporarily suspended until the batteries/capacitors are fully charged. Caching operations will automatically resume when charging is complete.

825 The cache for Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID in Embedded Slot has been disabled because the cache module encountered a hardware failure.

It must be a firmware problem. I tried installing the most recent firmware cp027853.exe and ran the ADU diagnostics. The status remains charging and the cache is permanently disabled. Can you please help me fix this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID cache module batteries/capacitors that are recharging

@GHeijmans wrote:

I have a HP Proliant DL360e G8 with the Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID embedded controller.
the 512MB FBWC module with capacitor pack are installed.
For some reason I get two warnings an the cache is permanently disabled :

772 Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID in Embedded Slot has one or more cache module batteries/capacitors that are recharging. Caching operations such as Expansion, Extension, and Migration are temporarily suspended until the batteries/capacitors are fully charged. Caching operations will automatically resume when charging is complete.

825 The cache for Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID in Embedded Slot has been disabled because the cache module encountered a hardware failure.

It must be a firmware problem. I tried installing the most recent firmware cp027853.exe and ran the ADU diagnostics. The status remains charging and the cache is permanently disabled. Can you please help me fix this problem?

Are you working with the B120i controller or the B320i controller?  From what I recall, the B120i doesn't support the cache module option, but the B320i does.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
GHeijmans
Visitor

According to the specs sheet and the manual it is supported. I have installed the 512MB FBWC module with capacitor pack exactly as documented. It should work correctly.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@GHeijmans wrote:

According to the specs sheet and the manual it is supported. I have installed the 512MB FBWC module with capacitor pack exactly as documented. It should work correctly.

Again, from what I recall (this product has been out of prodution for some time), the B320i which was based on an LSI chipset and also supported SAS drives is the only 'B' series controller that supported a battery backed cache module. The Intel based chipset B120i SATA chipset controller didn't support the feature.

GHeijmans
Visitor

Can you explain to my why the main board of my dl360e G8 has an expansion slot for the onboard b120i if it is not supported?

Can you explain to me how come the controller does detect the cache and offers me the option to create a Raid5 array.
Raid5 is not supported by the B120i without cache.

I think you need to brush up on the B120i

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@GHeijmans wrote:

Can you explain to my why the main board of my dl360e G8 has an expansion slot for the onboard b120i if it is not supported?

Can you explain to me how come the controller does detect the cache and offers me the option to create a Raid5 array.
Raid5 is not supported by the B120i without cache.

I think you need to brush up on the B120i

I'm just passing on information I was given years ago. Unfortunelty I dont have access to those resources anymore. 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I did some more checking and here is what I came up with. 

The DL360e Gen8 was unique as it did support the cache module on the B120i.  (This may be true for any server that supports the B320i)  Both controllers can use a 512MB cache module (same part # too).   B120i is SATA only and supports RAID 0, 1, and 10.  The B320i supports RAID 0, 1, 10, and RAID 5 when using the optional 512MB cache module. The B320i supports SATA and SAS with a license key.

GHeijmans
Visitor

The B120i is an onboard controller and the B320i is not an onboard controller

GHeijmans
Visitor

Here are page 2 and 3 of HPE Dynamic Smart Array Controllers QuickSpecs.
It clearly states that the onboard B120i supports the 512MB FBWC.
Are there any firmware updates available that I might have missed?

Key Features
тАв Optional 512MB Flash Backed Write Cache (FBWC) (BL420c Gen8, DL160 Gen8, DL360e Gen8, DL380e Gen8, ML350e Gen8)
тАв System memory used as read cache
тАв Smart Array RAID engine running in OS driver
тАв RAID functionality requires driver to be downloaded from Hewlett Packard Enterprise website for Linux and VMware
тАв Support for migration of drives to P-Series controllers
тАв RAID 0, 1, 1+0, Optional RAID 5
тАв Windows, Linux and VMware support
тАв Online drive flash support
тАв Array Configuration Utility (ACU), Systems Insight Manager, and Array Diagnostic Utility (ADU)

Ports
B120i Up to 6 SATA drives NOTE: NO SAS supported.
B320i Up to 8 SATA drives NOTE: SAS supported with optional SAS License key.

Performance
HPE's High Performance Architecture sets new boundaries of industry performance expectations!
B120i тАв Up to 6Gb/s SATA drive support (600MB/s bandwidth per physical link)
тАв x2 6Gb/s SATA physical links (compatible with 3Gb/s SATA )
NOTE: Two SATA ports will be running at 6Gb/s and reaming ports will be running at 3Gb/s.
тАв 512 MB 40-bit wide DDR3-800MHz flash backed write cache
тАв write back caching with FBW
B320i тАв Up to 6Gb/s SATA or SAS drive support

Fault Tolerance
Keeps data available and server running while a failed drive is being replaced; several fault tolerance configurations are supported including:
тАв RAID 5 (Distributed Data Guarding): Supported with a minimum of 3 drives. This allocates one set of parity data across drives.
This level of fault tolerance can withstand a single drive failure without downtime or data loss.
o RAID5 is available on the B120i/B320i with 512MB FBWC
тАв RAID 1, 1+0, 10 (Drive Mirroring): Supported with a minimum of 2 drives.
This allocates half of the drive array to the data and the other half to the mirrored data, providing two copies of the data

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

After digging around I was able to find a DL360e Gen8, that had the cache module and the B320i riser option.  As I stated in an earlier reply, this server as well as I think three other models are unique with the B120i as they do support the cache module and now I've learned they also support RAID 5.   I removed the B320i riser while testing.  The QuickSpec you refer to also states the following on page 10, which adds to the confusion.

Technical Specifications
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller	Dimensions
Disk Drive and Enclosure Interface - Transfer rate	Embedded
Up to 6Gb/s SATA (Serial ATA)
	Connectors	6 internal SATA connectors
	Server Interface	x4 PCIe 2.0
	SATA Speed	6Gb/s SATA links
	Cache Memory	Zero Memory RAID has no cache memory
	Logical Drives Supported	Up to 8 logical volumes (6 physical drives)
	Host Memory Addressing	64-bit, supporting greater than 4GB server memory space
	Hot Plug Support	Yes
	RAID Support	RAID 0 (Striping), RAID 1 (Mirroring)
                        RAID 1+0 (Striping & Mirroring)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i Controller Dimensions Disk Drive Interface Transfer rate Embedded Up to 6Gb/s SATA (Serial ATA) Connectors 2 internal x4 connectors Server Interface x4 PCIe 2.0 Speed 6Gb/s SAS links Cache Memory Zero Memory RAID has no cache memory optional 40-bit 512MB ECC protected Flash Backed Write Cache (FBWC) Logical Drives Supported Zero Memory, Up to 2 logical volumes (6 physical drives) Host Memory Addressing 64-bit, supporting greater than 4GB server memory space Hot Plug Support Yes RAID Support RAID 0 (Striping), RAID 1 (Mirroring) RAID 1+0 (Striping & Mirroring) RAID 5 with optional 512MB FBWC NOTE: 512 MB cache is required to enable RAID 5 support NOTE: SAS mode requires purchase of SAS license key. For more information please visit www.hp.com/go/saslicense

I haven't touched one of these systems in a few years, I even asked a couple of other enginners and got the same response I originally provided.   

Once you get the cache working, the next issue you could face might be a driver issue.  Is there a driver available for the operating system you plan to use? Keep in mind the B120i is in fact a chipset SATA controller. Many refer to this as 'fake raid' as the RAID functionality is in the driver and not the hardware itself.  There are drivers for supported Windows versions, as well as supported Red Hat and SUSE Linux versions.  On the Linux side, the drivers are kernel dependant and you can end up in a situation where you have to wait for the driver release until you can upgrade to the next minor release.  The drivers for RHEL 7.5 were just released in the last few weeks.

But to answer the original questions

@GHeijmans wrote:

This is a normal message produced when a battery or super cap is not fully charged and should go away once the battery is charged.  If you just installed the cache module and battery, one would expect the charge to be low. From what I'm am seeing in SSA, the features mentioned here are not available for this controller anyway.

@@GHeijmans wrote:

Try re-seating the module, or insert a different module if you have one

good luck