ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752817 Members
4395 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error when updating SSD firmware "Update not attempted. All selected devices are either up-

MikeAR
Occasional Advisor

Error when updating SSD firmware "Update not attempted. All selected devices are either up-to-date"

Full message "Update not attempted. All selected devices are either up-to-date or have newer versions installed".

This is for the ProLiant DL380 Gen10 series with the model VK003840JWSST SSD drive. The current FW version is listed as HPD1 via the iLO, but the bulletin below lists version HPD8 as the replacement. Just to clarify, this is to remedy the disk failures occuring at 40,000 hours. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_6c75359eb4eb48b28b11d4540a

We have followed the instructions in the article on downloading thr required .zip file and uploading to the server, but it appears to be reporting this message incorrectly when running the .exe unless I'm misinterpreting the firmware revision levels.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Error when updating SSD firmware "Update not attempted. All selected devices are either up-

Hello,

I hope all is well.

I would request you, take the complete data backup before the hard disk firmware update

Please follow the advisory for more clarification on how to check the current firmware version and power on hours

Advisory: HPE SAS Solid State Drives - Certain HPE Solid State Drive Models May Experience Drive Failure at 32,768 Hours of Operation

https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00093545en_us

Smart Storage Administrator: SSA GUI -> SATA Drive Details -> Smart Array Controller -> Power On Hours:

SSD frimware.PNG

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MikeAR
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, but clicking on the link says "Document not available". Please advise.

Mark17
Occasional Visitor

Here is the correct document link is for drive model VK003840JWSST, which fails at 32,768 power-on hours:

HPE SAS Solid State Drives - Critical Firmware Upgrade Required for Certain HPE SAS Solid State Drive Models to Prevent Drive Failure at 32,768 Hours of Operation
 https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00092491en_us

It's possible the SSD firmware updated successfully, but a reboot is needed, which happens in some situations. If that is the case, iLO won't report the updated firmware until after the reboot. However,  if the firmware update was successful, Smart Storage Administrator (SSA) should report the firmware as HPD8 prior to the reboot. Let us know if the server was rebooted after the firmware update, as well as what SSA reports.

MikeAR
Occasional Advisor

It looks like I'll need to install the SSA first. I tried doing so on the mgmt VM we run but apparently virtualized environments are not supported for the app, so I'll look to finding a physical and installing on that.

Will report back when completed and can verify, thanks.

Mark17
Occasional Visitor

After looking into it a bit further, it looks like a reboot is needed after the SSD firmware update in order for both SSA and iLO  to report the updated firmware version. Interested in knowing whether a reboot has occurred.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

You have to reboot the server after the firmware update.

Read the installation instructions before firmware updates. 

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MikeAR
Occasional Advisor

If you read the initial post, you will see the problem. 

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Could elaborate on your query to isolate the issue.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo