ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752280 Members
5327 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Firmware updates by Intelligent Provisioning - "The firmware repository is not accessible..

SOLVED
Go to solution
pwashburn1
Visitor

Firmware updates by Intelligent Provisioning - "The firmware repository is not accessible...."

New ML350 Gen10.  Trying to insure the firmware and drivers are all up to date.  Looks like Intelligent Provisioning would be the easiest way for me.  Get the following message when I attempt to update the firmware that way.

"The firmware repository is not accessible or has timed out.  Check your settings to enable".

Can't seem to find in the manuals or searching online on what needs to be done to fix this.  Can someone steer me in the right direction?

8 REPLIES 8
kjoggster
Occasional Visitor

Re: Firmware updates by Intelligent Provisioning - "The firmware repository is not accessible..

I've got the same problem on a new DL360 Gen10. It's online, pingable, etc., but after multiple reboots still no luck.

mlasidab
Frequent Advisor

Hi there,

where is that repository located? is Intelligent Provisioning registrered? (in case you are trying to update from HP)

Cheers,

pwashburn1
Visitor

That's just it!   I can't seem to find in the ML350 G10 manual much of anything about the "firmware repository".  So I haven't been able how to set it up.   Yes, my intention was to connect with HP to get the necessary firmware updates.   Please steer me towards some links that explain the "firware repository" more.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Get the ILO 5 user manual!

The firmware repository of ILO is not really related to Intelligent Provisioning and SPP.

You can upload firmware to ILO and schedule the installation, more or less.

For updates via Intelligent Provisioning consult the Intelligent Provisioning version 3.10 user guide.

I prefer update via SPP - online or offline.

"...

You can add a component to the installation queue from the iLO Repository page.
When you add a component to the installation queue, it is added to the end of the queue. After other
queued items are complete, the added component is installed when the software that initiates updates for
the component type detects the installation request. To determine the software that can initiate an update,
check the component details on the
iLO Repository and Installation Queue pages.
If a component in a previously queued task is waiting to start or finish, a new queued component might be
delayed indefinitely. For example, if a queued update must wait until the UEFI BIOS detects it during
server POST, but the server is not restarted, then the updates that follow in the queue will not be installed.

..."

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pwashburn1
Visitor

Thanks!   I'll look into the iLO 5 manual for more information. 

kjoggster
Occasional Visitor

I don't have a clue where that repository is located. I simply start Intelligent Provisioning and choose "Update" or whatever the option is, and it tells me it can't get to this mysterious magical repository. I don't have the option of choosing or setting a repository. And I'm not at all sure what you mean by "registering" Intelligent Provisioning. Do I somehow need to register it?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Connect to ILO-5 "Firmware & OS Software". There are the firmware repository options.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pwashburn1
Visitor

It appears that the way to set the "firmware repository" involves either using iOL5 and registering the server with HP from there or using a SPP to update the server.

I was unable to initially setup a workable USB thumbdrive using Rufus to build a bootable USB thumbdrive.   Saw another note somewhere on a Google search that you needed to use the HPE utility to make a bootable USB.  It's located at:

\usb\usbkey\usbkey.exe

in the SPP iso file.  

After creating the SPP with that, I was able to boot the server from that USB into SPP and apply the updates from there.

After that, going into iOL and the "Firmware and OS Software" option showed the "firmware repository" was populated now.  I suspect my running SPP took care of that.   I "suspect" that registering the server on the "Remote Support" option of iOL would also end up populating the "firmware repository" as the server was able to reach out to HP and download the necessary updates.