54826 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hard Drive not Recognized

SOLVED
Go to solution
JayDee
Occasional Advisor

Hard Drive not Recognized

I'm working on a Proliant ML350 G2. I have replaced the motherboard,processor, & feature card. All hardware tests OK. The hard drives, connected to the feature board/ dual channel SCSI controller get discovered on boot, get "SCSI bios successfully installed" and test OK with Diags. However, they cannot be found when the boot goes to "Boot from Hard drive. I have tried to re-install Win2K, but it can't find the drive.
I have not found any documentation on the multi initiator configuration, so I don't know if that is the cause of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
JayDee
Occasional Advisor

Re: Hard Drive not Recognized

Also, I press F6 to load third party drivers during the W2K install and it still can't seem to find the drives. The bios is reads SCSI Ultra 3 on boot but the SmartStart Win2K supplemental disk only has Ultra2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
NMory
Respected Contributor

Do you know if your server has a Smart Array Controller?

LN
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

See http://www.hp.com/servers/swdrivers to download the most recent drivers for your system.
JayDee
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replys.
No there is no arraly on this server.

As far a the downloads go, I think what I need is a setuptxt.oem file with the SCSI drivers so I can load them during Win2K setup. There seems to be something to flash the bios, but no drivers-or I could be just missing them.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!
JayDee
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replys.
No there is no arrays on this server.

As far a the downloads go, I think what I need is a setuptxt.oem file with the SCSI drivers so I can load them during Win2K setup. There seems to be something to flash the bios, but no drivers-or I could be just missing them.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!
NMory
Respected Contributor
Solution

JayDee:

You can try the following..

1)From this website:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_2588.html#13

Locate the section for Drivers Storage Controller. Here there are 2 possible drivers for your SCSI Controller:

1. HP ProLiant 32-Bit SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003
2. HP ProLiant 64-Bit/66-Mhz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000

You can try to do the installation with both of them to see wich one works.

What you need to do is download the executable, once downloaded, click on it, click run and the extract the contents (do not install it) to a Floppy Disk. You will repeat this process for each one of the drivers. Once you have the contents on the Floppy, boot your server with the Win200 CD, the installation of Windows will begin. Make sure you press F6 at the beginning of the Blue Screen when you start booting from the CD, this is to specify later on the SCSI drivers for your controller. At some point of the installation it will ask you if you want to specify the drivers for your controller, if I am not mistaken is S key that you have to press. Put the floppy disk in the floppy drive for the installation to go and search the drivers on the disk. The installation should show you the drivers included in the floppy drive just try each one of the drivers displayed, until you get a direct hit.

Regards,

LN

JayDee
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, LN I'll give it a try and see how it works. My understanding is that I have to create a setuptxt.oem file to point to the drivers, but I'll try your method and let you know.

Thanks again!
JayDee
Occasional Advisor

I ended up downloading Smart Start 7 and was able to get the job done. Thanks for the helpful suggestions