5874 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help required for fixing our primary ROM invalid

Dan8
Occasional Visitor

Help required for fixing our primary ROM invalid

Hello,

I wanted to apply the latest BIOS (version from 21/05/2018 - cp036547.exe) for our ProLiant ML370 G6.

During the POST, I could notice the following error "REDUNDANT ROM ERROR: Primary ROM invalid. Booting backup rom. Run ROMPaq to correct error condition".

I then decided to try to create a bootable USB key media (ROMPaq) by using SP99324.exe. When I run the HPEUSB.exe to format the USB key and create the bootable key, I have the following errors:

- syslinux.exe has crashed
- Take too long to execute.

I tried this from different machines with different OS (Win 7, 8.1, Server 2008 R2) but the same happened.

Do you see a way that would allow me to fix our primary ROM ?

Thank you by advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Does the server Boot into OS post this error?
If YES, they why dont you flash the BIOS from the OS.

If you can download a different type of ROM update file i.e. System ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant ML370 G6/DL370 G6 (P63) Servers (For USB Key-Media) SP99324.exe
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3884313&swItemId=MTX_37660617800b4f3db17cb11599&swEnvOid=4184

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Thumb below.  Kudos is a way of saying thank you to a post.
Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Dan8
Occasional Visitor

Hello Suman,

Yes, it boots into the OS after the POST. It loads the backup ROM.

I initially did try to do the upgrade from the OS but it doesn't change anything; the same message appear during POST and so it loads the backup ROM (which is not updated).

Do you see anyhting else that could be done to fix this ?

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

The solution is to run the ROMPAQ utility to update the ROM.

Error Message:
REDUNDANT ROM ERROR: Primary ROM invalid. Booting Backup ROM. - ...
...run ROMPAQ to correct error condition
Audible Beeps:
None
Possible Cause:
The primary system ROM is corrupt. The system is booting from the redundant ROM.
Action:
Run ROMPaq Utility to restore the system ROM to the correct version.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee
Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

holdenmagroin
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

What I find odd is that when applying the rpm P63 firmware update to the server which produced the 'invalid ROM' error as per op's post, the detection scripts picked up on this version (05.21.2018) and fully mitigated the vulnerabilities.

Could you please assist with the exact command to run the SP99324.exe from a linux command shell?  The file I downloaded according to the above link is OS independent.        

thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@holdenmagroin wrote:

Hi,

What I find odd is that when applying the rpm P63 firmware update to the server which produced the 'invalid ROM' error as per op's post, the detection scripts picked up on this version (05.21.2018) and fully mitigated the vulnerabilities.

Could you please assist with the exact command to run the SP99324.exe from a linux command shell?  The file I downloaded according to the above link is OS independent.        

thanks

The file you downloaded is indeed OS Independent as it is meant to be run in an offline mode from a USB key.   To run the update from within an RPM based Linux distribution you can download this version and follow the instructions listed on the web page 
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3884313&swItemId=MTX_0ce9186ad60746e9aa1948a755&swEnvOid=4184#tab1

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
temeraf

I have the same error (DL370 G6 as well) but when I've tried to run ROMPAQ utility from USB key I got error message: "There are no ROMA inage file on ROMAQ disk for the device you have selected" . After confirmation for Do you wnat to reprogram another ROM getting the same error.

Susan Hebel
Advisor

Did tis get ever resolved? I am doing this right now and I am getting this same error.