ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752407 Members
5796 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to replace a hard drive on HP ML350 G5 server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Helen kang

How to replace a hard drive on HP ML350 G5 server?

HP server is down by itself 3 times due to hard disk problem. But the 2 hard disk LED light are still green. The 2 hard disk are failed on "S.M.A.R.T". I have to replace them. The server can run for some hours and can be down by itself. Any one can tell me how to replace them? Thanks,

Helen
6 REPLIES 6
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to replace a hard drive on HP ML350 G5 server?

Just to be covered, I'd run ACU first to check which RAID configuration have the disks.
If it's either RAID 1 or 5, then you should be fine.

Just take the failed hot-swappable disk out and put in the new disk.
Make sure the new disk has the same features as the old one (speed, capacity, etc.) If you go over on size capacity don't mind. If you have RAID1, then the controller will not use the remaining space to build the mirror.
Same thing if you have a RAID5 built.
Once you've put in the new disk, the controller will rebuild the information onto the new disk.

Note: You don't need the OS to be running, only the server must have the power on during the rebuilding of the RAID by the controller.
Helen kang

"Note: You don't need the OS to be running, only the server must have the power on during the rebuilding of the RAID by the controller." How to do it? It is RAID1+0. Should I run the smart-drive to rebuild it or just power the server? More detail, please.
Thanks,

Helen
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

You have a RAID0+1, fine.
Then, as long as your hard drives are hot-swappable, all you have to do is make sure the server will be powered on during the whole rebuilt process (regardless of whether or not the OS gets to start).
The duration of the rebuilt will depend on the size of your disk.
Only then, take the faulty disk out and plug in the new disk.

Regards.
Helen kang

Edgar Zapata,

2 hard disk seems still working on green light. The HP technician say,"I can not just pull out the disk when it is on green light". Should I power-off the server, replace the hard disk and power-on the server and it will rebuild the new Hard disk?

Thanks,

Helen
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Helen,

As long as they're hot-swappable you can pull them out anytime.
Be carefull though, as what you just said it's what you should do with a hot-plug disk only.
What OS are you running on your server?

If it's Windows 2K3, then you should be able to type http://ServerIPAddress:2301
and see what the Insight Management logs say.

If that isn't an option, try iLO.

If you have access to HP hardware support, have them lead you through the process of changing the disk and get the mirror rebuilt.

If you don't feel confident enough doing that yourself, ask them to do it. If you have hardware support, it should be them.

Again, if your disk is hot-swappable it can be pulled out while everyhing is on (no matter if the lights are green).

Check this out:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=87154

Regards.
jmoctezuma

hi,

I have a question, can I take out the hard drive while the operating system is running? I have a raid 1 + 0, and windows server 2003. 

Thank you