108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to replace HDD predicted to fail

SOLVED
Go to solution
sir_timbit
Occasional Contributor

How to replace HDD predicted to fail

Hi there, I have an HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 running Ubuntu server. It has two hot swap SAS HDDs in RAID 1. One of those HDDs has the flashing status light amber & green, which from what I can find online means the HDD is predicted to fail. I have a replacement HDD, but not sure what steps are involved to swap it out to rebuild the array with the new HDD. 

On the Dell and Lenovo servers I have worked on, there is typically a setting in the RAID utility to mark the failing drive as offline. Once the RAID controller sees it as offline, then I can pop it out, plug in the new one, and the array starts rebuilding automatically. I was in the RAID utility for this server but I couldn't find any such option to make the failing HDD offline. I inserted the new HDD into the server (in one of the spare bays) which the RAID utility sees, but as unconfigured. I couldn't find any option to get it to start rebuilding the array.  So the array remains degraded.

Also, is there some way of doing this through the iLO? I'd prefer to avoid having to restart the server and accessing the RAID utility that way if possible. The iLO shows the status of the array but as far as I can tell, doesn't provide any option.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to replace HDD predicted to fail

usually you make sure the other disks in the array are ok, then you swap out the disk and insert the new one.

but now, once the new disk is already in, you may make it a spare, that will kick in once the disk is bad or degraded, depends on your settings.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
sir_timbit
Occasional Contributor

Thanks--so there's no need to mark the predicted-to-fail drive as offline first? Not that I could find such an option anyway...

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03243777

scroll down to

Drive LED definitions.

You just pull the defective drive. The "do not remove" LED on the other drive will lit.

You insert the new drive, the array will start rebuild.

Check the status in SSA or ILO.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!