Re: HP Proliant DL140 G3 - Unknown Devices

SOLVED
Go to solution
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

HP Proliant DL140 G3 - Unknown Devices

Hello,

Can anyone help please?

I have Dl140 in a Raid 1 configuration. Drivers have been installed via Nlite utility.

When the install of Windows 2003 Standard wa s complete I saw in the device manager pane that I had:

Other:
(?)Unknown Device
(?)Unknown Device
(?)Unknown Device
(?)Unknown Device

No additional Hardware is installed on the server, The server is a straight out of the box setup. Only changes made are enable raid, Create Raid 1 array and install windows 2003 standard.

This is very worrying and I hope someone can help.

Thank You.
71 REPLIES 71
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

you already installed this CD and Unknown Device continues there

HP Proliant Dl140 G3 Support & Documentation CD, Bootable Diagnostic Utility, Includes Drivers & configuration files. Version 3.00

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Hello Karlo,

Yes Sir, All drivers from the CD was installed.

One of my freinds also thinks that the 4 unknown devices are processor.

As the processor in the device manager is not showing. for exmaple (Quadcore 1.6)

#1 Processor#
#2 Processor#
#3 Processor#
#4 Processor#

However he was unable to see a reason why they were not showing especially when I told him that when Raid was disabled and the OS was installed on a single drive with the other drive spare the unkown devies were not seen.

Thank You.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Hello again Karlo,

Please disregard the comment I made regarding the raid being turned off and the 4 unknown devices disapearing.

It seems that they are still here after I have turned Raid off fully and reinstalled the OS using automated Nlite software.

This is very weired.##

Sorry for confusion. But prrblem still remains. I am 100% sure that my freind was correct about the processors being the issue but the question remains, How do you fix it?
HP Support had no idea ROFL!

Thank You.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Ok this is an update,

I just reinstall W2K3 with raid Disabled and with Original Retail CD's of OS.

The reinstall went through and when view devices the 4 unknown devices were not preasent and also the processors were elisted.

So process of ilimination will reveal only 2 options for the cause:

1. Nlite Software
2. Raid Error

So as of right this second I have re-enabled raid 1 and inserted Retail OS Disks. I am going to reinstall the OS and see what happends. If the 4 unknown devices are preasent and the processors are not listed then im going to have to say that its a raid error. However if the 4 unknown devices are not preasent then the cause of the issue will be 100% Nlite Software.

Will update you in 30 minutes.

Until then, take care.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Well I am stuck now,

As I have no External or Internal Floppy Drive I cannot install the Raid Drivers via F6 upon setup of Windows 2003. This was previously covered by Nlite.

However I do have a USB 1GIG Kingston Flash Drive, So does anyone know how I can make the system belive that the USB stick is the A: drive?

Until I get an answer I cannot move forward with this, So I am asking now for anyones advice.

Thank You!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

well I think if nlite does the job it will be the same if you have the option to load using floppy - UBB key there will be no difference

so what if you try loading the driver withing W2003?

what W2003 is that SP2 or SP1?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Hello Karlo,

I don't get what your saying. The service pack of Windows 2003 Standard RC2 is SP2.

Nlite has worked for many others, It inserts the drivers at setup. I never removed or added aything other than the Raid Drivers and the CDKey. Thats it, Yet when I use Nlite as the setup CD I get those 4 unknown devices which is the processors but why is it removing the drivers for processors and how can I get the drivers back in there ?
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, stepping in between...

To try and find out what the issue is...

In the device manager, do you have the processor(s) listed under the Processors section?

Also, in the task manager do you see 4 CPUs?

Any installed devices that are not working?

Is it possible to remove the unknown devices (one at a time) from the device manager & see which hardware Windows picks up as "Found new hardware..."?
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Hello Seshadri,

Do you have MSN at all ?

If so please add me:

racknetz@hotmail.com

I can give you access remotely so you can view yourself the issue at hand ;)

Thank You