New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant Gen8 SD-CARD issue - iLO diagnostic

SOLVED
Go to solution
JoeHead
Occasional Contributor

HP Proliant Gen8 SD-CARD issue - iLO diagnostic

Greetings,

I hope you can help me because I am experiencing an issue regarding the internal SD-card reader. 

The main use of this part of the hardware is to boot a SSD which uses the ODD SATA Port. Once the SSD loads, the SD-card is not load anymore, until a server reboot (almost never). 

Everything was working properly until this weekend when, suddenly, the server went powered off and stucked at boot point. Then I checked the iLO Diagnostics panel and I found this:

http://i.imgur.com/nNznPE4.png

"Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Embedded media manager failed initialization".

Well, I did a bootable USB to keep the server working but I really want to know where can be the problem, because it is really strange if it was broken "by use", when the "use" of the SD reader is, almost, 0.

Thank you so much for your help!

11 REPLIES 11
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Did you try removing power from the server to totally reset iLO?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JoeHead
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I disconnected everything and kept it 10 mins off but nothing changed.

Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hello,

this is a kknow issue of the NAND Flash of the iLO Board. Your iLO board must be connected to the LAN. Then you can format the NAND Flash and reinstall the Intelligent Provisioning software. See the following advisory:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04996097&hprpt_id=HPGL_ALERTS_1913281&jumpid=em_alerts_us-us_Jul16_xbu_all_all_757293_1913281_EnterpriseSolutionsServers_critical__/

You need a downtime of the server to reinstall the IP Software. You can format the NAND Flash online with the iLO Config Utility.

Thomas

JoeHead
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your answer. It seems a very good solution so I will try as soon as I can and come back to you. Hope I can fix the issue :-) 

Regards

vrivoire
Occasional Collector

If the issue is not corrected by the workaround, you'll have to ask HPE support to replace the motherboard (it means your NAND memory is dead).

JoeHead
Occasional Contributor

It can sounds strange but I cannot check it yet (I haven't physical access to the server right now). I have this pending so I will check it as soon as I can. The problem of replace is that it's already out of warranty so I suppose that it won't be free of charge, right?

Best regards.
matthiasN

Thanks a lot - this helped with my server!

mlasidab
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,

We had same problem here in my company with a couple of G8 servers. ILO Version were 2.55 (Aug 16 2017).

"Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Embedded media manager failed initialization".

The only way we could fix it was downgrading the ILO firmware to 2.54 (Jun 15 2017) for that, addi the .rpm file to a bootable  USB with SPP2018030.2018_0226.84 inside. you need to locate the folder were the packages are located and just drop the file with ILO 2.54 in.

Boot from the USB and select interactive updates. Then advanced options and select upgrade/downgrade in order to have the 2.54 listed. 

After downgrading, boot a couple of times and the issue will dissapear. Then you will able to update again to ILO 2.55 if you wouold like to.

Cheers

srinivas772
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I got the solution from this site for below error message. 

Embedded Flash/SD-CARD : Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 NAND read failure 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00048622en_us

Followed Steps from: Steps to perform a NAND format via the iLO GUI