ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1767465 Members
3949 Online
108962 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE 900GB disk drives - excessive failure rate?

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

HPE 900GB disk drives - excessive failure rate?

We currenty experience a large number of failing disk drives and I wonder if this is only here or if anyone else has the same problem...?

Model 870795-001, 900GB SAS 15k (mfg by Hitachi?)

The problem is that most of the failed drives (predictive failure) are not older than one year. We bought them new and we always test all new drives before the go to stock. Every one had only 2-3 operating hours, no errors and a brand new mfg date. About one year later (now) they failed.

Anyone else with excessive failures of this type?

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
3 REPLIES 3
Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Re: HPE 900GB disk drives - excessive failure rate?

Hi,

I think the issue is related to the advisory below. Please check if the hard drive model details is match with the advisory and update the hard drives firmware.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00127593en_us

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

The hard drive spare part matrix "HPE Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Drives - HDD/SSD Model Number Matrix" indicates that the spare part number 870795-001 have two model numbers EH000900JWCPN and EH000900JWHPP. Ensure that the server's BIOS, iLO and the Smart Array Controller's firmware are at the latest. If they are very old, then it is recommended to have backup of server data, schedule downtime adequately, update to every alternate version till you reach the latest.

You may download the firmware for model number "EH000900JWHPP" here. You may download the firmware for model number "EH000900JWCPN" here.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Marco Correnti Techno S
Frequent Advisor

Hi all

We have had/have the same issue with too many EH000900JWHPP HD :

• 2023 10/56
  • 2024 11/56

The Smart Array is P408i-a.

We have updated the :

• HD firmware to HPD8 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00127593en_us

HPE recommends updating to the latest firmware to prevent potential drive failures or increased rates of predictive failures from occurring.

• Smart Array to 6.52

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=it&softwareId=MTX_2913a20040d64975abee0d82ce

Fixed an issue where firmware incorrectly reported unrecoverable media errors.    (this bug is for the previous firmware version 6.22)

After that and in about one month we have had other 3 HD failed with Predictive failure and then Failure.

This issue is still being analyzed by HPE.

Ciao