4754 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE ML350p G8 - all Temperature Sensors are "not installed" and read "N/A"

MDuenki
Visitor

HPE ML350p G8 - all Temperature Sensors are "not installed" and read "N/A"

Hi

I have a HPE ML350p Gen8 which was running fine until about a week ago. After beeing shut down for about two weeks, when I returned to the server I noticed an unusual high FAN noise.

Checking iLO4, it turns out the system is unable to read any of the installed temperature sensors. They all show as "not installed" and Readings and Thresholds show "N/A". Hence the FANs are in a sort of safety mode and are runing at a higher speed, but also there read "0%" speed 

I upgraded iLO to the most current version 2.79 and the most current BIOS is installed (P72 2019.05.24). Also the Power Management Controller is updated to the most current Firmware 3.3. I allready tried various down and upgrades of both the iLO Firmware (down to 2.70).

This server was bought 2nd Hand, so I do not have a valid support contract. I hope one someone can shed some light into this and has an idea on how to resolve this issue (unless the main system board is broken)

Thank you in advance,

MDuenki

3 REPLIES 3
ManBha
HPE Pro

Re: HPE ML350p G8 - all Temperature Sensors are "not installed" and read "N/A"

Hello,

Please do try the below steps.

1. Power drain the server ( remove power cables and press and hold the power button for 20-30seconds)

2. Reseat all the components. 

3. Perform a minimal configuration by removing all the external components and adding them one by one to isolate the faulty part.

4. Clear NVram ( Steps are the same for Gen8 servers): https://www.running-system.com/how-to-clear-or-reset-a-hp-server-gen9-nvram-using-system-maintenance-switch-on-the-system-board/

5. Update all the components firmware.

Thanks.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MDuenki
Visitor

Re: HPE ML350p G8 - all Temperature Sensors are "not installed" and read "N

Hello ManBha

Thank you for your sugested solution. I followed the linked procedure, but unfortunately this did not help.

NVRAM Cleared, Power Drained. The server is at it's near minimal configuration: 1 CPU and 64 GByte of genuine HP RAM installed (8x 8 GB RAM blocks). All Firmwares are at the most currnent level, as far as I can tell:
iLO: 2.79 Nov 16 2021
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data: 1.22
Intelligent Provisioning: N/A
Power Management Controller Firmware: 3.3
Power Management Controller Firmware Bootloader: 2.7
System ROM: P72 05/24/2019
Redundant System ROM: P72 05/24/2019
System ROM Bootblock: 03/11/2012
SAS PLD: 0x0C
SPS Firmware: 2.1.5.2B.4
P420i Controller: 8.32
System PLD: 0x4A

In addition to the temperature sensors showing "not installed" I also noticed that the FANs show 0% speed even though they are running at 50% at the least. Also all memory dimms show HPE Memory "No" and PartNumber "N/A" but I know that they were all registered as genuine HP RAM.

Thank you so far for your sugestions

ManBha
HPE Pro

Re: HPE ML350p G8 - all Temperature Sensors are "not installed" and read "N

Hello,

We would suggest you to log a case with HPE to analyse the logs and suggest the next plan of action.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo