1771390 Members
2546 Online
109005 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE p408e-p sr gen10 controller showing no firmware and inaccessible

sv000008
Occasional Contributor

HPE p408e-p sr gen10 controller showing no firmware and inaccessible

Hi, I was upgrading the firmware on the DL380 Gen10 but the update for the P408e-p failed. I haven't been able to update the firmware and the controller is no longer usable as it is not recognised by the system. The controller is visible in RBSU under PCIe Device Configuration but displays as Slot3: Storage Controller. Is there any way to recover this controller?

If I look at ILO, I see the following:

Firmware Name                                                            Firmware Version                           Location

HPE Smart Array P408e-p SR Gen10                        N/A                                                 PCI-E Slot 3

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HPE p408e-p sr gen10 controller showing no firmware and inaccessible

System recommended content:

1. HPE iLO 5 3.05 User Guide | One-button secure erase

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

sv000008
Occasional Contributor

Re: Query: HPE p408e-p sr gen10 controller showing no firmware and inaccessible

Thank you, just to be sure, is this going to force flash the controller as the controller isn't visible in the HP Storage Administrator.

Regards

shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Re: HPE p408e-p sr gen10 controller showing no firmware and inaccessible

Hi @sv000008 ,
    Post the warning or error after you try to update the firmware.
    What is the current firmware version of the controller ?
    If it is lower version, try to update the next version  or intermediate mentioned in the firmware download site.
    Please try this firmware once. If not working, try with latest SPP.
    You can also validate your DL server model is supporting the Smart array controller by referring this quickspecs Page no. 25
Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

sv000008
Occasional Contributor

@shiva_jr Morning, as posted in my original query, there is no firmware version being displayed. There is also a HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller in the machine which is working perfectly on v6.52 and shows up in HP Storage Administrator. The HPE P408e-p SR Gen10 controller does not show up. During the firmware upgrade the HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 upgraded perfectly fine but the HPE P408e-p SR Gen10 controller did not. The firmware version is not being displayed. I have tried the recommended firmware upgrade on my Red Hat server. When I run it, the software only sees the HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 controller. Below is what is being displayed in the ILO5 web interface for the HPE P408e-p SR Gen10 controller. There are no warnings as there is no attempt to flash the controller. The server came with the controller and was working fine and attached to my HP DAS before the attempted firmware upgrade. The server is an HPDL380 Gen10.

Firmware Name                                                            Firmware Version                           Location

HPE Smart Array P408e-p SR Gen10                        N/A                                                 PCI-E Slot 3

Regards.

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

The HPE P408e-p SR Gen10 controller is a PCIe form factor controller. 
Reseat the controller in its slot and check its behavior. If there is a vacant slot available, try placing the controller there and observe. 
If the issue persists, the controller might need replacement. Please log a support case and share the logs to help determine what caused the controller to behave this way.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
sv000008
Occasional Contributor

@BPSingh 

Hi, the controller has been inerted into 3 different slots. None of the LED's light up on the controller. I'm guessing the controller is no longer functional.

Regards

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Please log a support case and share logs to verify the issue before replacing the controller.

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo