1748266 Members
3381 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ILO4 Firmware 1.32 and Windows OS Install Errors

SOLVED
Go to solution

ILO4 Firmware 1.32 and Windows OS Install Errors

Hopefully this helps save someone some grief out there...

We just got a brand new batch of Gen8s running ILO4 (mix of DL385p and BL465c).  All came with ILO4 Firmware 1.32.  When trying to load Windows 2012 R2 on the servers via Virtual Media, we kept getting the following generic "Load Driver" error message during Windows Setup:

"A media driver your computer needs is missing.  This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver.  If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now."

We tried various things to troubleshoot, including using a new ISO imsage, loading various drivers, and even loading previous version of the OS (Windows 2012 and Windows 2008 R2).  They all exhibited the same behavior. 

After checking a few Gen8s we already had installed and up and running, we noticed they were running ILO4 Firmware 1.30.  Rolling back the firmware on the new servers to 1.30 gave us desired behavior and the system worked as expected.  All our systems are now functioning properly.

Like I said, hopefully this helps someone out there.  We spent quite a bit of time trying to track it down.

6 REPLIES 6
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

That message is related to Windows installed not detecting or loading correct driver for the Embedded Smart Array controller in Gen8.
Have you tried using Intelligent Provisioning to deploy Windows 2012 R2? It does include the latest SA driver.

That's what I originally thought too, that the system wasn't seeing the Array Controller for any of the systems.  We did try loading drivers to no avail.  It would always kick back that error.

The bad media suspicions came direct from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755139

But that wasn't the issue either, as the ISO worked to deploy VMs, and I also used it to successfully deploy a G7 Server while testing.  Also, no media would work on the Gen8, even 2008 R2 or 2012 (no R2).  Both those OSes threw the same error as well.

As for Intelligent Provisioning, it's not currently supported for 2012 R2, so it wasn't something that I even tried.  I have a feeling it wouldn't have worked either though (see page 10 of the HP 2012 R2 Deployemnt Guide):

Installing Windows Server 2012 R2

Currently, HP Intelligent Provisioning cannot provision Windows Server 2012 R2. A future release will add that capability. You will need to manually install the OS from the Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 media.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor
Solution

I just tried booting from Windows 2012 R2 ISO and I saw the same issue.

I know what is going on. It is related to code we recently added to iLO2, iLO3 and iLO4 firmware to workaround a problem with SLES11 where mounting virtual media would fail after SP3 is installed. We are going to have to remove this workaround in the next release as it breaks 2012 R2.

For the mean time, please use iLO4 v1.30 to deploy the OS then you can upgrade iLO4 back to a later version.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks so much for following up Oscar.  I really appreciate it.  Good to know that I'm not completely crazy :-)

Axel Schroer

Is this problem solved with the 1.40 ?

AvalonZone

I've tested the new v1.40 Firmware on a HP Proliant G8 with success ! Now my Windows 2012 R2 installation ISO file is correctly mounted... Lost about an half day to figure out that the problem was related to ILO and not to my SCCM OSD boot image...