New Discussion

Re: Issues configuring array with Smart Array P840 Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
iyanmv
Occasional Collector

Issues configuring array with Smart Array P840 Controller

Hello,

I am trying to configure a RAID 1 in a DL380 Gen 9 with a Smart Array P840 Controller but I am facing some issues. I hope anyone can help me. Here more details about my server:

[see dl380_1.png with device inventory]

[see dl380_2.png with firmware versions]

As you can see, I have all firmwares/ROM/iLO up to date. I used Service Pack for ProLiant 2018.03.0 for that before writing here. I don't think is a hardware problem since I can see/use HDDs from any OS and I have the same issue in 3 different servers.

When I go to HPE Smart Storage Administrator to configure the P840 controller, 0 physical drives are shown. I get a warning that says:

Warning 267: There are no configurable physical drives attached to the current controller. If this controller is being used as a host controller for tape devices only, please disregard this warning. If this controller is being used as a host controller for an external controller, the physical drives attached to the external controller will only be visible selecting the external controller. If the controller is not being used as a host controller, one of the gollowing could cause the problem: There are no supported drives attached to the controller. A data cable has a bad connection. Two or more drives have duplicate SCSI IDs. Power to the external drives is off. The OS controller driver is missing.

If I enable the HP Dynamic Smart Array RAID support in SATA options in the BIOS, I see the physical devices as unassigned drives in this controller in the HPE SSA, but I do want to use the P840 controller instead of the embedded controller.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Iyan

“A man who is certain he is right is almost sure to be wrong.”
― Michael Faraday
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Obviously the drives are not connected to the P840, open the chassis and connect the SAS cables to the P840.

(4) and (5) are the connectors of the Dynamic SA:

2018-05-28 13_55_14-HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 Server User Guide - Foxit Reader.png

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
iyanmv
Occasional Collector

That's what I though, but people have told me they are indeed connected. I will open the chassis to verify the connection because I am tired of assuming things. Thanks @Torsten.  I will upload the post later.

“A man who is certain he is right is almost sure to be wrong.”
― Michael Faraday
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The disks (disk cages) can be only connected to a single controller at a time. If the dynamic smart array can see the drives, it is connected to the disks, hence the disks are not connected to the P840 ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!