108838 Solutions
New Discussion

ML 350p Gen8 USB3 card support

SOLVED
Go to solution
rodneypooleg
Advisor

ML 350p Gen8 USB3 card support

Customer has an ML 350p Gen8 LFF PS Entry Serverx, we've tried 2 USB3 cards now but neither work properly. They are seen and the driver installs, they appear to be ok but anything plugged in them doesn't work correcty e.g. external harddrive can't be read, a usb stick copying files fail, even causes BSOD.

Card tried is a Startech USB3 card but no joy.

http://uk.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/2-Port-PCI-Express-SuperSpeed-USB-3-Card-Adapter~PEXUSB3S2

Can anyone recommend a know card that works with this ML 350 Gen8 running Windows Server 2011 Premium?

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ML 350p Gen8 USB3 card support

Hi,

I think the answer is in the link you provided.

If you see the tech specs of this card, it does not support Windows 2011 premium and Connector type is PCI Express x1.

Now coming to the server specs http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14226_div/14226_div.html

If you see the Expansion Slots details its x8 or x16.

Nine total expansion slots. Three PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 speed); One PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 speed); Four PCIe 3.0 x8 (x4 speed); One PCIe 2.0 x8 (x4 speed).

I think you should select a card which is PCIe 2.0 or 3.0, x4 or x8 or x16 compatible.

I have no clue which USB 3.0 card is compatible with this Gen8.

Good Luck!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

rodneypooleg
Advisor

Thanks for you reply Suman, much appriciated.

It is indeed a PCI Express card, it's one that has worked in previous HP servers we've inslled, just not the Gen8 it seems.

The server it's installed in is running Server 2008 R2 with virtual machines (all part of Windows 2011 premium).

It's finding a USB3.0 card that does support PCIe 2.0 or 3.0, x4 or x8 or x16.

Can anyone recommend a USB3 card that might work?

grantmartinez

We have a similar problem. Have ML350p G8 and DL380p G8 but supplier says there is no usb3 option available, which I find odd as the hp removable drive solutions appear to be usb3. Anyone know of a way to get usb3 on these devices as my backup windows when writing to external usb3 hard drives are starting to get squeezed when connected to the usb2 ports.

rodneypooleg
Advisor
Solution

We have just installed a PEXUSB3S4 by StarTech.com, 4 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express Card with SATA Power, this is a newer release to the one I first posted. So far so good, backup are twice as quick and everything appears to be stable.

http://uk.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/4-Port-SuperSpeed-USB-3-PCI-Express-Card-with-SATA-Power~PEXUSB3S4

mgoyalcan
Occasional Visitor

Hi rodneypooleg,

Just want to know if Fan speed increased after installing StarTtech PEXUSB3S4 USB 3.0 card. 

I am looking for USB 3.0 card for my  ML350p G8, but reluctant to install it , as many users reported increase in Fan speed.

Can you please tell me if system behaved normally after installing it?

Thanks,