ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751966 Members
4729 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

ml310e gen8 - How do I use SATA Port 6 as the boot drive with the hot-swap cage in AHCI mode?

Wolfe_MSL
Collector

ml310e gen8 - How do I use SATA Port 6 as the boot drive with the hot-swap cage in AHCI mode?

I have a Proliant ML310e Gen8 server which I plan to use as a fileserver with ZFS.  For ZFS purposes the hot-swap cage is set to AHCI mode instead of RAID.  My OS drive is installed on the spare motherboard SATA port (port 6).

The BIOS only offers a single "Boot from hard drive" option, which appears to always look for a drive by order of SATA ID.  This means the server insists on attempting to boot from the drives in the hot-swap cage, which results in boot errors (there is no MBR on these drives, intentionally).

How do I reconfigure the BIOS to use the drive on SATA port 6 as the primary boot device?

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ml310e gen8 - How do I use SATA Port 6 as the boot drive with the hot-swap cage in AHCI mode?

Not sure if this works on the B120i, but it works with other smart arrays ...

Set the controller to RAID mode (create a RAID0 per drive for your purposes), go into ACU and set the boot drive.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Wolfe_MSL
Collector

Re: ml310e gen8 - How do I use SATA Port 6 as the boot drive with the hot-swap cage in AHCI mode?

Thanks for the suggestion Torsten, I'll try it next time I can offline the server.  After making the change I assume I could switch back to AHCI?

It occurred to me that as a workaround I could also load GRUB to a USB stick, boot to USB then let GRUB boot the actual OS disk.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would try this with 1 or 2 new disks, I assume switching to RAID may corrupt the data on the disks ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!