1755155 Members
4791 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G6 UPS issues?

TomCahill

Re: ML350 G6 UPS issues?

Wayne,

can you provide links to the updates you installed?
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

Dan Soukup

I have 2 DL380 G6 units with the exact same problem. Both on separate APC model XS 1500 backups. Both do the same thing. You can unplug the backup from the wall, the server goes down, then re-insert the plug and the servers stay down. Furthermore, on one backup I also have a tower server and that one stays on. The server bios is set as per factory, plugged into the right circuits on the backup and I've tested it by unplugging at the power supply and re-plugging, and it boots up automatically as it should.

Yesterday both servers went down even though there was no noticeable power dip in the office and no other computers went down, even ones plugged directly into the wall.
Tom Szabo
Occasional Advisor

Dan,

Part of your problem is that model UPS from APC outputs a 'stepped approximation to a sine wave'. http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1500LCD

It appears that you need a 'true sine wave' for these servers. An APC SUA1500 should resolve the issue.
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

After weeks of testing and waiting for the next power outage/surge, I am reasonably certain that there are no software issues present. Instead, it is a characteristic of the new, energy-efficient power supplies not being compatible with the low-end UPSs on the market. These new servers will shut off at a minimal fluctuation in voltage, fluctuations that are not noticeable to the eye or noticeable to other servers and PCs. I delayed this post until convinced that my new configuration is stable.

I am now using an Eaton PowerWare 9130 700va (double conversion type, not interactive like the APC was). My #1 power supply is connected to utility power with surge protection, and the #2 power supply is on the Eaton UPS. If there is extended outage and the server shuts down, it is automatically restarting when power returns. Thanks to all for input that helped me solve this.

Wayne
Ron Golesh
Advisor

We are an HP dealer, Eaton, APC and other UPSes. We are hearing this complaint, about HP servers from numerous customers. We urge HP to respond with a fix, rather then fostering this on it being a software or UPS issue. This is NOT an issue with virtually any UPS on IBM, Cisco or Dell servers. HP needs to step up to the plate on this one and address the issue.
paul lowe_2
Occasional Advisor

Good on you Ron, HP have been useless in addressing this issue. I had to throw one very good UPS out because of HP's new PSU's.
Tom Szabo
Occasional Advisor

I would love to be able to charge HP for the amount of time I wasted troubleshooting and chasing down this problem.
Ron Golesh
Advisor

HP should understand the power of problems. We are having customers come back to us, tellng us that it is OUR problem, and therefore they want either new servers, or new UPSes, because of HPs design issues.

Well, if that be the case, we will recommend Dell, Cisco, IBM as the servers unless this is fixed. This thread, and the other threads on HP and other blogs, go back 4 months, and the HP service people are saying the same platitudes they were then, trying to deflect it as a simple UPS issue. Not the case. The energy effecient PS in Dell do not have an issue with clipped square wave power supplies.

One customer, has Cisco, Dell and HP, next to each other, on the same Model UPSes, and ONLY the HP servers go down.

HP, step up.
paul lowe_2
Occasional Advisor

Tom, Same here, I travelled 250 miles over two days to sort this out and paid ├В┬г350.00 for a new UPS. With my time, ex's etc I think I am out by about ├В┬г1200.00 or $1800 dependant on who is looking. Will I get any of this back, no chance.