7005 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 Gen9 Second Cage

noelwoods
Frequent Visitor

ML350 Gen9 Second Cage

Hi All,

I have a ML350 Gen9 (UK) with an initegrated HPE Smart Array P440ar/2G Controller. I have a new cage and Drives but unsure about the expansion.

Have read that the expansion card cannot be used with the P440ar so does anyone know what the options are to put a new set of disks in.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Hello,

You should be able to use the SAS expander card (HP 12Gb SAS Expander Card for ML350 Gen9
769635-B21) on the P440ar. I know quickspecs says it isn't supported on the "P440ar" but is on the "P440" but I'm not sure that is completely accurate. Is this a SFF or LFF system? How many drives do you have now? How many are you adding? 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

noelwoods
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I had ordered an expansion card but i think it was the wrong part as for a DL380 Gen9 (which doesnt work) have ordered the one for the ML350 Gen9 now to try that.

Basically the initial cage is all full of disks (all setup in a raid 10) so just setting up a new set of disks (not expanding current array) 2.5 SFF disks going in. (or trying to)

Noel

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

OK, if you've already ordered the expander then please post your results. My understanding is that there are no technical concerns with using the expander on P440ar but that there may be some tight clearences on the cabling which I believe led to that note in the QuickSpec. I have seen systems built using this combination and they worked fine but I haven't done the installation myself to see first hand. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

noelwoods
Frequent Visitor

Ok will do, thanks

noelwoods
Frequent Visitor

OK, not a good weenend.

Installed and trashed my current array !!!!!! (have full backup but now attmepting a DR)

When put in initially it sees both cages and some (not all of the drives) 8 in once cage and 4 in another. In the Array config it doesnt find 2 of the drives in the original cage and sees all of the drives in the second cage. All drives are exactly the same (15k SSF 600GB) tried different cables etc and all didnt do it.

Have reverted back to original on board card and picks all the drives up (in the first cage) no problem, creted the array etc fine no issues.

So i would say that the emapnder card does NOT work with the P440ar (and trashes the original array as it marks original disks as failed and inactive (8 disks were configured in a raid 10 with failover) so not sure what it did to them but even when i put just back to the on board controller it said disks were in the wrong place, data gone, not bootable etc. So gone :-(

Next question then. Can a second Raid COntroller be put in with the on board one (a P440) and just have two cards and 2 arrays.

Ta

Limo
Occasional Contributor

I need to add 8 LFF to 8LFF i have on my ML350 gen9 with b140i. So far by my research i think the best way is to install P840/4gb standalone card and corresponding cables. Didn't try yet, just ordering parts. 

Noel, I think in your case also the best way is to go with single P840 without expander.