1755132 Members
2861 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion

Mounting SPP via ILO in UEFI mode takes me to grub menu

InsightAutomato
Occasional Advisor

Mounting SPP via ILO in UEFI mode takes me to grub menu

Ever since 09-2020 version of SPP, it takes me to the grub menu when i mount the ISO via the ILO virtual drive.   However if i boot my servers in legacy mode it boots the grub.cfg file just fine and takes me to the selection menu of automatic or interactive firmware updates.

What is the cause of UEFI boot mode not properly loading the /efi/boot/grub.cfg file automatically?  I can load it manually if i type commands from the grub.cfg file manually like loading kernel, booting, etc.

Every version from 03-2020 and prior works fine in both UEFI and legacy.

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Mounting SPP via ILO in UEFI mode takes me to grub menu

Hi,

Please see if this document helps you.

For earlier versions, as a workaround, follow the steps below depending on the operating system:
Note: This workaround should work with other versions of SPP however only the SPP versions 2021.4.0 and 2021.05.0, was tested.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
Recent Support Video Releases

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

InsightAutomato
Occasional Advisor

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I followed the steps here:

1. Create the USBkey in Windows via usbkey.exe 3.0 and SPP 2021.4.0 or 2021.05.0. Repair to USB key.
  2. Copy the file "system\initrd.img.sig" in ISO image to"\initrd.img.sig" on USB key.
  3. Copy the file "system\vmlinuz.sig" in ISO image to"\vmlinuz.sig" on USB key.
  4. Delete "efi\boot\grub.cfg.sig" on the USB key.
  5. Rename "efi\boot\grub_usb.cfg.sig" to "grub.cfg.sig".

For steps 1 to 3 it does not pertain to me bc i am using a mounted bootable SPP ISO downloaded from HPE Website, not usb key.  

For step 4 and 5 I performed the steps and saved the iso, i booted again in EFI mode and it took me to grub menu again in EFI mode, and did not boot to the SPP.

InsightAutomato
Occasional Advisor

Hello

Do you have any other possible advice to get the mounted SPP ISO via ILO to start working in UEFI mode?

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

You may contact HPE Support for further assistance.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo