5883 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Move array from server A to server B

smortier
Frequent Visitor

Move array from server A to server B

Hello,

I have 2 HP Proliant ML350 Gen8, with HP Smart Array P410i.

On each server, I have 4 HD 300Gb 10Krpm (RAID 5)

When I try to move the raid array from server A to server B, server B doesn't recognize the array anymore and isn't able to boot.. (0 logical drive)

I think that server B keeps something of the previous setup in memory.

What are the correct steps to successfully handling this ? Should I delete something in the smart array's memory ?

Thank you for your help !

15 REPLIES 15
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

if you move HDD from server A to server B you need to creat a new logical array on server B

because the information of RAID is on smart array card not on HDD

smortier
Frequent Visitor

If I create a new logical array on server B with disk array of server A, will I lose all datas ?

I absolutely need to keep OS and all datas safe during the move !

On this post : https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/move-raid-disks-including-data-between-dl380g2-amp-g4/m-p/5749065

I found that the RAID information is not stored on the controller, it is kept in the RIS area on each disk.

Is it not true ?

Thank you for your help !

[Moderator edit: Updated the link]

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

If you continue readind the rest of reply you can see that someone try to move HDD from server to another and the result is failed

you need to know that always the information of Logical drive is stored on Smart Controller Card

smortier
Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry but I don't understand..

Imagine that server A have a major failure (motherboard or smart array controller), I don't have any possibities to restore my disks array on another server (server B for example) ?

I think that it's incredible !

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

if ther's an issue on motherboard you don"t lose any data :)

if you have an issue with controller card and disque is OK (all disks ) the replacement of the same controller enable automatic replication

So in your case you need to move HDD from server A to server B with same controller card

the both server need to have same reference of smart array controller card

for example in server A you have P400 under server B you need to have P400 card also

gdegraeve
Occasional Visitor

Hello scharchouf,

I'm a collegue of smortier and looking for the same information.

As you can see on the first post, we have 2 HP Proliant ML350 Gen8, with HP Smart Array P410i.
On each server, we have 4 HD 300Gb 10Krpm (RAID 5)

This is the same smart array controller card.

On server B, we have to extract the 4 disks, and replace them by the 4 disks of the server A. Bay 1 to 4.
On boot, the controller doesn't detect the logical drive. :-(
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Ok, have the possibility to send me in private message the AHS log for 2 servers in order to check them

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

if you change disks from one server to another should always keep the same order, if it not work, or even a loss of data
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

scharchouf wrote:

if you move HDD from server A to server B you need to creat a new logical array on server B

because the information of RAID is on smart array card not on HDD

That is not a correct statement. The RAID information for the array is stored in what is known as the "RIS" area on each hard disk. The array configuration is NOT stored on the Smart Array controller itself.

What the original poster needs to verify is that the Smart Array controller firmware is at the same version. If the machine being moved too has an older version of firmware there is a good chance it might not recognise the array. If the machine the disks are being moved to has the same or a newer version of firmware the controller should recognise the array and boot the system

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!