ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753759 Members
4463 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Movement of disks from one boxe to another - Revised spec!

John Dongworth
Advisor

Movement of disks from one boxe to another - Revised spec!

Has anyone ever moved disk arrays from one server to another when a higher spec proc and FSB was in use on the new box and how does WIN2K handle the move....?

Got a DL580 with Motherboard issues and have a spare server that i could put in but it is a newer revision with better procs and quicker FSB (although the same number of procs). Want to move the disk arrays from the old to the new but not sure if WIN2K will fall over as a result. Has anyone tried this 'upgrade' and what was the result...?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I've found this will usually work correctly, but will definitely require the the support pack be reinstalled. At worst this may mean a repair. If there is a different boot controller, which uses a different driver, then it will require making this is in the OS before migrating to the new server.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am not suring it is going to work.
Where in case of the Same model and controller of the server is present we can do so.
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EX000818_CW01.xml&dt=3

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
John Dongworth
Advisor

Thanks for the replies so far, but think i should have worded the question better...!

To clarify, the disks and the controllers will move across onto the new server. I'm not using the 5i, but 2 X 6402's, one for the internal arrays, and an additional one for the exteranl storage array, so booting *shouldn't* be an issue (the original disks and controllers will be there to boot the system!)
Question is really 'will WIN2K hndle the quicker FSB and procs...?'