108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving RAID drives from G1610T to DL360e

SOLVED
Go to solution
simiane
Frequent Advisor

Moving RAID drives from G1610T to DL360e

I've been running a Gen 8 Microserver for a couple of years now, ESXi and a couple of VMs just for basic home office use. I've come to a point where the slow performance of the machine is starting to become a problem and so I've managed to source a faster Gen 8 DL360e to replace it.

I currently have 4 x 3TB drives set up in RAID 10 and I was wondering whether it'll be possible to simply move those drives into the DL360e? To the best of my knowledge both machines have the B120i onboard RAID controller - so I was thinking it should 'just work'. Can anyone confirm?

I was also wondering if I'd be better served getting another couple of 6TB drives and putting them in the new machine at RAID 1, with a view to adding another pair of 6TB drives at a later point. So I was wondering if it's possible to add drives to an existing RAID 1 array to convert to a RAID 10.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Moving RAID drives from G1610T to DL360e

You should be able to move arrays between B120i controllers.  You cannnot expand or migrate arrays using B120i.  Make sure the firwmare on the B120i is the same or newer than the old controller. As with any comment about disks or arrays, make sure you have a valid backup of the data before you make any changes

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
simiane
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear - if I put two disks in the server, am unable to add a further two disks later on? Or am I simply unable to convert it to RAID 10?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@simiane wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear - if I put two disks in the server, am unable to add a further two disks later on? Or am I simply unable to convert it to RAID 10?

unable to migrate to a different RAID level

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
simiane
Frequent Advisor

Ok, thanks.