New Discussion

Re: MR storage Administrator

SOLVED
Go to solution
RNW
Frequent Visitor

MR storage Administrator

Hi,

I try to install my first HP Proliant ML350 Gen11 server.
First I added 2 disks 240GB for my OS.
Through the MR Storage Administrator, everything was greyed out until I cleared the configuration.
Afterwards, I was able to add a RAID1 vol and installed my OS.
After applying the latest SPP 2023.04.00.00, I put in my disks for OS and data.
Unfortunately,  the option to add an extra array is greyed out in MR Storage Administrator.
I flashed the firmware from 52..22.3.4650 to 52.26.3-5250 in the hope it would solve my problem. It did not.
I called HP, but since the contract is not yet registred, they won't help me by telephone.
Situation : 1 Array configured, 4 drives available, but the 2 not configured drives are listed by JBOD and no action can be performed on them.

Thanks for any suggestions in clarifying this out !

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

For adding any drive to be part of an array, it needs to be accessible to the RAID controller. Please refer to the definition of "unconfigured good" on page 86 of the HPE MR Storage Administrator User Guide. Please refer to the definition of "Just a bunch of disks" (JBOD) on page 87 of the aforementioned guide.

Because the drive's status is JBOD, it will be presented by the controller to the Operating System (OS) as an individual disk. To make it accessible to the controller for configuring it as part of a RAID array, its state has to be changed to "Unconfigured Good".

To do so, you may restart the server and press the key "F9" at the POST prompt to launch the server's UEFI System Utilities. Refer to section "Making an unconfigured good drive" of the HPE MR Gen11 Controller User Guide to change the drive's status to "Unconfigured Good". Once done, it is available for further RAID array configuration.

For performing this operation from withing the OS environment, you may download and install the software HPE MegaRAID Storage Administrator (HPE MRSA) for GUI version and StoCLI for CLI version.

For HPE MRSA (GUI version) refer to section "Making Unconfigured Good Drives" on page 70 of the HPE MR Storage Administrator User Guide for steps to set the status of the drive as "Unconfigured Good".

For StorCLI, refer to section "Set Drive State Commands > storcli /cx[/ex]/sx set good [force]" on page 38 of the HPE StorCLI User Guide for command to set the status of the drive to "Unconfigured Good".

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

RNW
Frequent Visitor

Hi, thanks for your reply !

This was idd the solution. Fortunately someone which is affiliated with lsi controllers pointed me towards the solution.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @RNW,

That's awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know you were able to find the solution and we appreciate you for keeping us posted. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo