ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752601 Members
4561 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NMI error in DL380p GEN 8 when P430/4GB is installed.

Edduhollandak
Occasional Visitor

NMI error in DL380p GEN 8 when P430/4GB is installed.

Hi all,

We are having issues  with a few DL380 gen 8. it shows a red screen of death after POST is completed and tries to boot. This is the message: NMI Detected. Please consult the integrated Management Log for more details.

I have run the Insight diagnostics test and all components seem to pass succesfully all the tests. In the iLO everything looks green and the only mention of an error appears as IML logs entries: 

• Uncorrectable PCI Express Error (Slot 1, Bus 0, Device 3, Function 0, Error status 0x00000020)
  • Unrecoverable System Error (NMI) has occurred. System Firmware will log additional details in a separate IML entry if possible.

The RAID controller installed in slot 1  is a P430 /4GB FBWC , even if the IML says error, the controller passed POST succesfully and the logical drives are visible. 

My question is could it be a compatibility issue with the controller or cache module and the server?

I see that the controller is mentioned in the option parts of the server but only with 2GB FBWC.

The controller was running firmware 4.10 and it has been updated to the latest 4.51, however it did not resolve the issue.

Any help would be really apreciated!!!! 

Thanks.

Ed

9 REPLIES 9
krasinka1409
HPE Pro

Hello, 

the controller is supported. It CANNOT be populated in PCI Slots 3 and 4. So if yours is in slot 1, this is ok and fully compatible. 

What exactly does your PSOD say? Do you have a printscreen of it? 

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
Edduhollandak
Occasional Visitor

Hello, 

The Red screen of death has the following message: NMI Detected. Please consult the integrated Management Log for more details. (Image attached)

What about the 4GB FBWC? is this one also compatible. In the option parts of the DL380p GEN8, the P430 appears as an option but only with 2GB .

Thank you.

Ed

Edduhollandak
Occasional Visitor

Hello, 

The Red screen of death has the following message: NMI Detected. Please consult the integrated Management Log for more details. (Image attached)

What about the 4GB FBWC? is this one also compatible?. In the option parts of the DL380p GEN8, the P430 appears as an option but only with 2GB .

Thank you.

Ed

krasinka1409
HPE Pro

4GB is one of the supported options. 

Please checkout the following: 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7271227&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04853621

Is is related to Gen9 servers, but you may still try to update the system ROM

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
Edduhollandak
Occasional Visitor

Hi  Krasinka1409, 

Thank you for the info provided. 

I have checked the link provided but the Advisory talks about a GEN 9 and the servers we are having issue with are GEN8.

Ed. 

shootme

hi Edduhollandak - did you find a solution to this ?

We have an identical system and config and am getting the same error

thank you

bw

David McNeill_1
Occasional Advisor

Problem is caused by non-hp memory. Doesn't matter if it's the exact 12800R type, will still give this Red Screen error.

Remove non-genuine hp memory, retest with genuine hp smart memory. No more errors.

Rickchad
Occasional Visitor

Using Genuine HP memory doesn't cure the problem for either of my two DL380e G8 servers.

Rickchad
Occasional Visitor

Remove the system board from the metal tray
Remove the heatsink from the Southbridge chipset
Scrape all the petrified thermal paste off the chip and heatisnk
put some decent quality thermal paste on the chip
Replace the heatsink
Pop the system board back on the metal tray and reassemble the server.
The problem should have gone now and you will be able to see the B320i RAID (if this is the one you have) in the config manager.

This has worked on the past two DL380e Gen8 boards with the red screen of death messages.