4135 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Patching a G5 Server with Windows 2003

BigHPUser
Advisor

Patching a G5 Server with Windows 2003

Hi

I would like to patch old servers that we have with the latest patches, drivers and firmware

We are still using these models of servers with Windows 2003 running on it

ProLiant DL380 G5

ProLiant DL360 G5

ProLiant DL580 G5

With newer models I normally use the latest SPP and run a online and offline scan and patch everything

But I understand that with old model (hardware and OS) it is different.

I know these are no longer supported by HP and Microsoft will soon no longer will support Windows 2003 but for some reason we need to keep these old servers running but I would like them to be at least run on the latest software and patches possible.

What would be the best way you would recommand to patch all these ?

Thank you for your help

7 REPLIES 7
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2014.06.0

This is the last SPP release to support G5 generation and earlier servers.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/doc/p1822529277/v99330/SPP2014.06.0-ReleaseNotes.pdf

You may need a valid contract/warranty to download SPP.

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_33222856ca304ee5807ac0de8a

The last version of "ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003" for this server is 8.70(5 Apr 2011).

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1121413&swItemId=MTX_c4a548846c6241a68d6744ff70&swEnvOid=1005

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

BigHPUser
Advisor

Thank you for your help

So if I run the SPP 2014.06 and the PSP 8.70 I should have all the latest version installed for my server (hardware G5 and software 2003 ) ?

From what I have read SPP is not supporting Windows 2003 so is this mean that the SPP would have to be run offline only ?

In this case is the the SPP will be used only for firmware and the PSP for all software agent, and drivers ?

What about the Firmware Update CD, is this useful in this case or it should be replace by the SPP ?

Thank's again

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

You try the ProLiant Support Pack mentioned above or SPP. They both can be used to prepare the server for operating system installation and installation of drivers. Firmware disk ensures that the firmware is updated. Firmware and drivers, as you are aware,  are two different components required for smooth functioning of the server.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

BigHPUser
Advisor

Hi

yeah I know that softwares/drivers and firmware are 2 differents things

This is why I am concern updating both of them

Firmware part:

Suman_1978 told me that G5 are were supported until version 2014.06.0 so I will use this to update the firmware.

My question is : Do I need Firmware Update CD or just the SPP will be enough to get all latest firmware

Software/drivers part:

Since The latest SPP 2015.06 or even 2014.06 does not support Windows 2003 I guess I need to use the PSP 8.70

My question is: Am I understand correctly that I cannot run any SPP online to update the software and driver for Windows 2003 and only PSP 8.70 will have the last drivers and software for Windows 2003 

Thank for claryfing these last questions

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

You may use PSP to update the drivers and you need to use the Firmware disk to update the firmware of the server components.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

BigHPUser
Advisor

Thank you for answering

Which one is better (or the most up-to-date) to update the firmware on G5 servers

Suman_1978 was talking about the SPP and you are talking about the The Firmware DVD  ?

waaronb
Respected Contributor

For updating drivers you can only use the latest supported SPP (the one already mentioned).

For updating firmware you might be able to use the latest SPP, but for old servers there's no gaurantee it will have new firmware for any unsupported devices (like the P400 array controller on your G5).

Your best bet might be to avoid the SPP's and just go to the download page and download/install the individual components.

I mentioned in another thread that for old operating systems (especially Server 2003) you might find newer firmware update CP's by looking at the Server 2008 page for your server.  Those would probably install okay.

I have to wonder why someone would still be running Windows 2003 on a physical box... do yourself a favor and virtualize those installations onto newer hardware. :)