ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748180 Members
4221 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI Bus Error Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0

Adam Hunter

PCI Bus Error Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0

Hi We have a DL360 G5 Proliant server frequently reporting this error in IML logs and causing the server to reboot/hang displaying a blue screen with "Hardware Malfunction" no mention of what the problem actually is.

We have had the system board replaced and the processors and all firmware and BIOS is fully up to data as are all drivers and support packs etc. 4 separate calls to HP and the issue is still not resolved. Beginning to lose the will to live to be honest. HP Support is terrible and useless.

Has anybody else had this problem and been able to resolve it?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would do a barebones install. Test with one CPU, 2 sticks of RAM, no controllers or adapters. See if it posts. You can boot smartstart CD/DVD and run a diagnostics.
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

The Slot 0, device 0, function 0 refers to the P400i/E200i controller installed in the server.

Thanks

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Adam Hunter

Does this mean there is a fault with the controller itself or a failing hard drive. We have ran offline diagnostics and no problems are shown but then it's an intermittent fault that pops up in the IML logs and causes a server hang so I wouldn't expect it to find anything.

Is the controller part of the system board or is a separate component that can be replaced?

Thanks
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If the onboard controller fails, you need to replace the server board again.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to firmware 9.2. Took out the server board and two HBAs. In 5 days, HP replaced the server board 3x and HBAs 4x. They brought out flaky or dead hardware. If its still acting up, replace it again.
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

HP ProLiant DL360 Generation 5 Server Maintenance and Service Guide
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710376/c00710376.pdf
Refer to Page#45

Search for the card and remove/reseat or swap with another similar card if you have and test.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Adam Hunter

I'm tearing my hair out HP keep coming up with new issues relating to PCI bus error's but they are forgetting that the issue we are getting is pci bus error slot 0, bus 0, device 0 and function 0 not any other device or slot. They think its the memory now. I have run memory tests and offline diagnostics and the memory is A1.

They are shying away from replacing the system board again because it has been done once but all replacement components are refurbs are they not? so replacing it once doesnt always mean the replacement is good.
CW_777

I've been struggling with the exact same issue. Just replaced the PCIe/PCI-X riser about an hour ago, but had another ASR reboot following the 'PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0) message.

I've got two Adaptec 39320A-R boards in the PCI-X slots, attached to Plasmon optical libraries.

Everything was working fine up until 3/17, which is when the first PCI error occurred.

CW_777

More info-

In Insight Diagnostics, here's the definition of the device at Slot 0, Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0:

PCI Device PCI standard host CPU bridge
Windows Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25D8&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_B1\3&61AAA01&0&00
Bus 0
Device 0
Function 0
Slot Number 0
Class Code 06
Sub-Class Code 00
Revision ID B1h
Vendor Name (Standard system devices)
Vendor ID 8086
Device ID 25D8
Sub Vendor ID Not applicable
Subsystem ID Not applicable
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would remove all adapters and run diagnostics on the server. If clean for 24 hours. Install one adapter and retest. I would remove any non-HP adapter and replace it with the HP equivalent. It could be as simple as a BIOS conflict with the Adaptec board.