New Discussion

PCIe workload accelerator On HP Proliant ML350 G9

SOLVED
Go to solution
konkon
Occasional Collector

PCIe workload accelerator On HP Proliant ML350 G9

Hello everyone,

I have an Proliant ML350 Generation 9 and i find  a good deal for a PCIe workload accelerator Prod  No 775666-B21 is the HP 1.0TB HH/Hl Light Endurance PCIe Workload Accelerator but when i plug in the device to the pcie gate, doesnt look to be working, at the devices show only "storage controller" but i can't see it at Hp Intelligent Provisionin to configure it.

Is it compatible device does need any other configuration, settings in order to be functional?.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: PCIe workload accelerator On HP Proliant ML350 G9

Hi,

These products are old and mostly out of support.
I found this old document for configuration.

I am not sure if you can configure this product via Intelligent Provisioning (personally I have not tested).

According to this document775666-B21 is compatible with ML350 Gen9.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
Recent Support Video Releases

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

konkon
Occasional Collector

Thanks nice add!!, but nothing about firmware and how i can use this workloader as boot device.

I find something extra about the drivers P320h here but i will see how usefull it is.

I'm wonder if i can munipulate it by CLI or HPWAM.

Anyway i will update if find anything, until then any help is welcome.

pchops
HPE Pro
Solution

@konkon wrote:

Thanks nice add!!, but nothing about firmware and how i can use this workloader as boot device.

I find something extra about the drivers P320h here but i will see how usefull it is.

FYI -- just to add some additional information to the reply by @Suman_1978 -- the 775666-B21 workload accelerator is not the same device that is in that HP document. The accelerator discussed in that document is Micron-based. The 775666-B21 is based on an original Fusion-io ioMemory PX600 OEM design (NOTE that Fusion-io was later purchased by SanDisk, who in turn was purchased by Western Digital). You should verify that you have the correct model by checking the labels on the back of your module, ie:

ioMemory-PX600-back.png

This HPE IO Accelerator User Guide is relevant to the Fusion-io devices. The latter document provides a good overview for each operating system, but be sure to read through the documentation provided within the firmware/drivers bundle for your applicable operating system. Said documentation goes into much greater detail and will also help you avoid some serious pitfalls. Case in point, when updating the firmware to the latest HPE-provided version, there is an issue with Gen9 ProLiants if you do not follow the exact steps in the documentation within the bundle. See this advisory for reference:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00044622en_us

In my experience, the best way to find the firmware/drivers bundle for this device is to browse to the HPE Support Center and then in the Search box, put in "iomemory" (in quotes). Then, select the "Drivers and Software" tab and filter the results using the "Operating Environment Type" and "Operating Environment Subtype" filters (ignore the "Software Type" filter). From the results, select the latest version that shows "supports Generation 3 HPE Workload Accelerators cards" in the description. This bundle will have everything you need in order to use this device.

However, please note that this category of devices was never intended to be a boot device, and so boot support is not provided by HPE. I can confirm that this device will not show up in Intelligent Provisioning as a target device, or most other operating system installers. However, if you are using VMware's ESXi, it will show up as a target (providing the
firmware version is compatible with the ESXi driver version), but do not install ESXi to this device because it will not be bootable (instead, it can be used as a datastore or caching device).

That said, there was some boot support from the OEM, but again, there is no boot support from HPE. If you don't care about having a supported configuration, there are ways to allow this device to become bootable. However, there is absolutely no support for it and your mileage may vary. If that is something that interests you, I would recommend reading through this lengthy thread on the "ServeTheHome" forums:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/fusion-io-iodrive-2-1-2tb-reference-page.11287/

While that post started out as Fusion-io ioDrive2 page, it has grown (currently 26-pages worth) to include discussions and tips about many Fusion-io devices -- it is well worth a perusal, IMHO.

There is also newer drivers and firmware on the Western Digital website, but that is for Fusion-io-proper models and not OEM versions (but see the ServeTheHome thread about getting around that).

There is also this github page that may be of some interest to you:

https://github.com/RemixVSL

I work for HPE
konkon
Occasional Collector

Thank you very much!.

Your guide is very informative and clear many things!.

That reply for me is what i was looking for and i will mark it as "solution".

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @konkon

Excellent! We are glad to hear your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo